Wordcraft Community Home Page
antilemming

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3460015366

May 25, 2013, 19:31
Kalleh
antilemming
Have you heard antilemming being used before? Lemming maybe, but antilemming? It was used in my book this way: "I am antilemming by nature." And clearly this person was. Both his parents were Pentecostal ministers, and he experimented with Christian mysticism, Zen meditation and Native American rituals, ending up with a synthesis that felt authentic to him.
May 26, 2013, 06:51
zmježd
Have you heard antilemming being used before?

Nope, but it understandable given its use and context. Did you have a problem with it?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
May 26, 2013, 20:22
Kalleh
I thought I knew it from the context, but wasn't sure so looked it up.

I just wondered if others have seen it used or used it.
May 27, 2013, 13:10
bethree5
I don't really understand what the author means...
May 27, 2013, 21:05
Kalleh
I thought he could have said it a lot more simply. He meant that he was a nonconformist.

As for z's comment about about understanding what was meant by the context, too often I have thought I'd known what was meant, only to find that there was a nuance to the definition that I hadn't understood. Therefore, whenever I come across a word I am not familiar with, I always look it up.
May 27, 2013, 22:31
arnie
It could mean that he wasn't a suicidal type, referring to the urban legend about lemmings throwing themselves off cliffs.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 28, 2013, 19:44
Kalleh
Therein lies the nuance I mentioned above.
May 29, 2013, 03:33
bethree5
Oh, I see. It was the suicidal aspect that left me scratching my head. I'd forgotten that of course they do it because 'everyone else is doing it'. I agree, Kalleh, when in doubt look it up.

Don't hear much about lemmings these days...