Wordcraft Community Home Page
Game vs. match

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3461087043

June 07, 2006, 17:39
shufitz
Game vs. match
Why is a competition between two teams called a "game" of baseball, basketball, or US football, but is called a soccer (UK football) "match"?
June 07, 2006, 19:56
<Asa Lovejoy>
Because the Brits make more sense. "Game" to me suggests recreation, but there's nothing recreational about making money playing some kind of contest. I suppose "game" in its meaning of a hunted animal might make sense if we were allowed to shoot basketball players - especialy the portland Jail Blazers. Big Grin
June 07, 2006, 21:06
Kalleh
Big money is made in the game of poker, at least from what I can see on some of the cable stations. I've seen some British poker players in those games, as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
June 07, 2006, 21:21
Seanahan
In Tennis, they have both games and matches, the former the subset of the latter, hence the expression, game set match. You say poker is a game, but you have a "heads-up match". To me, you play a game of soccer, but that could be an American reaction to a Communist sport.

It seems that you play a game, and you compete in a match. You play basketball, but you compete in track and field. I'm sure there are counter-examples, but this distinction seems at least on the surface to be adequate.

There is a tv program "Late Night Poker" which I take is fairly popular in Britain.
June 08, 2006, 06:01
Graham Nice
Only US responses so far.
On this side of the pond, the two phrases can be completely indistinguishable.

A match might refer more to a single occasion between two teams, and a game might refer more to the action itself - 11 v 11, but there is so little difference that I would expect few others to appreciate such a distinction.
June 08, 2006, 11:33
arnie
quote:
There is a tv program "Late Night Poker" which I take is fairly popular in Britain.
There seem to be several such programmmes pumped out every day, so presumably they are popular with some. I can't see the fascination myself.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 08, 2006, 13:09
Duncan Howell
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
I suppose "game" in its meaning of a hunted animal might make sense if we were allowed to shoot basketball players - especialy the portland Jail Blazers. Big Grin

Tut,tut, tut. Giraffes are a protected species. Wink
June 08, 2006, 13:18
Duncan Howell
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:

A match might refer more to a single occasion between two teams, and a game might refer more to the action itself - 11 v 11, but there is so little difference that I would expect few others to appreciate such a distinction.

Let's see how that would work....(with apologies to Joni Mtchell)

Nah, wouldn't work. Razz