Wordcraft Community Home Page
Trilaton

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3551009001

November 13, 2004, 15:43
<Asa Lovejoy>
Trilaton
I heard this word on a Discovery Channel show on Stonehenge. I googled it and got a drug company. I looked in both Wikipedia and Dictionary.com and got nothing. Hellllllllp! Three rocks, I assume, but WHAT three rocks?
November 13, 2004, 16:08
wordnerd
There's only one google hit for trilaton stonehenge, so I guessed it would be a typo. Yep. Found it by . . . ah, why take the fun out of it for all of you? See if you can find the word, correctly spelled. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordnerd,
November 13, 2004, 17:02
Caterwauller
you sound like the quintessential elementary school teacher requiring a student to use the dictionary . . . ugh!

took me 3 tries - isn't it cool how 3 is often the magic number? Ahh, the wonders of the universe!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
November 13, 2004, 18:49
tinman
Found it! Hurry up and find it, you guys, so I can post a new site I found!

Tinman
November 13, 2004, 19:00
<Asa Lovejoy>
Good flaming grief! I ask a simple question and get the sixth grade student treatment! Harumphhh! Wink
November 13, 2004, 21:47
Kalleh
Oh, gosh, do I agree with you, Asa! Big Grin

Post your site, Tinman! (BTW, I do like CW's nickname for you, "Tinny." Wink)
November 14, 2004, 03:58
Caterwauller
So . . . it's trilathon, right? Am I right? Do I get the star for the day? Do I? Huh?

Oh, come on, Teacher, I promise to be a good student! Wink

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
November 14, 2004, 08:19
jheem
All right, class: what's the Greek word for stone? (Class groans as if one.) Greek lithos 'stone'. And the word for three? (More groans.) Trilithon.
November 14, 2004, 09:22
<Asa Lovejoy>
As I said at the beginning, "Three rocks, I suppose..." I mis-heard what they said, and Jheem, you've pointed out my error. Thanks! Now, as to my original question, What three rocks? It was built with two uprights and a top piece repeated until a circle was described, but is that all they were saying?
November 14, 2004, 09:27
jheem
What three rocks? It was built with two uprights and a top piece repeated until a circle was described, but is that all they were saying?

Yup, that's it. A sort of ur-arch. I've heard the third piece on top called a lintel.
November 14, 2004, 20:02
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
you sound like the quintessential elementary school teacher requiring a student to use the dictionary . . . ugh!

And what's wrong with that? You do know how to use a dictionary, don't you?

Tinman
November 14, 2004, 20:07
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Post your site, Tinman!

Thanks, Kalleh. You know I was dying to post it. The Adventures of Archaeology Wordsmith. Isn't that a great name!

Tinman