Wordcraft Community Home Page
Gueuze beers

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3920089526

June 13, 2011, 20:16
Kalleh
Gueuze beers
Have you ever heard of gueuze beers? Gotta love all those vowels! Apparently gueuze-style beers are becoming more popular here in the U.S. They are a Belgian style beer that was described in the Chicago Tribune as: "complex, funky idiosyncratic, multifaceted, delicious, pungent, satisfying, intense, crisp, dry, acidic, refreshing, tart, fruity, oaky, sour, musty, vinous, lemony, strawlike, cidery, grassy, haylike, and ideal for a warm summer night." Whew! That word has more meanings than our old favorite, set.
June 14, 2011, 05:16
zmježd
Wikipedia article on gueuze. As for all the "vowels", they are just part of the French penchant for bad orthography. It's pronounced /gø:z/: i.e., one vocalic phoneme and two consonants. The first u is there so that the preceding g is "hard" and the final e is silent. The central eu represents a single vowel sound which does not occur in English, but does in French and German. As for the description of gueuze, I don't think it's quite the same thing as a definition or what the word "means".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 14, 2011, 06:48
goofy
Gueuze is a lambic, so it's made with wild yeast. That is, the brewer doesn't add yeast, the beer is fermented spontaneously. Some lambics have fruit added, but gueuze has no fruit. I visited the Cantillon brewery in Brussels. They say they never clean their facility, because they don't want to disturb the wild yeast.
June 16, 2011, 19:45
Kalleh
quote:
It's pronounced /gø:z/
I wondered how it was pronounced. I hate reading about new words and not hearing them being pronounced.
June 17, 2011, 05:44
zmježd
I wondered how it was pronounced.

/ø/ is a sound that occurs in a bunch of European languages, but not English. It's the ö of German schön 'beautiful' and the ø in Danish øl 'beer; ale'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 19, 2011, 08:33
Geoff
There's a funny bit in the Chinese Movie, "Red Sorghum" depicting a frustrated brewer's technique for starting fermentation. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093206/ Superb cinematography too.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti