Wordcraft Community Home Page
Strange Sayings

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4021004271

March 25, 2005, 08:55
jo
Strange Sayings
Since we are going on about things like pulling the plug... I'm wondering about the origin of two phrases:

Kick the bucket -- generally meaning to die. There are some "not for public consumption" meanings but I'm not referring to those, thank you.

Pull the wool over his eyes -- Does this originate from the "wolf in sheep's clothing" from Aesop?
March 25, 2005, 11:02
Cat
quote:
There are some "not for public consumption" meanings but I'm not referring to those, thank you.

Pity, because you've roused my curiosity now! I must have led a sheltered life not to know what you're on about.

I heard once - can't remember where or when - that 'kick the bucket' might come from makeshift hangings, where the victim stands on something which is kicked away from under them once the noose is tightened.

I have my doubts about this, but I've never looked it up to see if it can be verified. It's certainly very inventive, even if untrue.
March 25, 2005, 12:23
arnie
World Wide Words has an article on kicking the bucket.

[URL=http://www.word-detective.com/021605.html#pull wool hoodwink]The Word Detective[/URL] has an article on pulling the wool over one's eyes.

EDIT: The word Detective's URL doesn't seem to be recognised as such by the forum software, so you'll need to copy & paste the address into your browser.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 25, 2005, 21:14
Kalleh
Well, that is very strange, arnie, because I know I have posted links from there before. Yet, I too tried to post the link, and it just came up with a home page. I wonder what is wrong!
March 25, 2005, 21:29
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:

Pull the wool over his eyes -- Does this originate from the "wolf in sheep's clothing" from Aesop?

Wellll, I've heard that a wolf is a guy who goes out with a sweet, innocent girl who's wearing a sweater, and he pulls the wool over her eyes.
March 25, 2005, 23:27
arnie
What is wrong with the URL is the spaces between the words at the end: pull wool hoodwink. A properly formed URL has no spaces.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 26, 2005, 06:53
jheem
Works for me. You just need to percent escape the space character. See the spec for the explanation.