Wordcraft Community Home Page
Vilipend

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4241097212

June 23, 2005, 17:32
shufitz
Vilipend
'Vilipend', a great word new to me, appeared today in the Wall Street Journal (Tunku Varadarajan's editorial). I'll quote a fair bit, excerpted, to give context.
June 23, 2005, 18:22
Kalleh
I haven't heard of "vilipend" before. The OED also mentions a "vilipender" or one who "vilipends" and "vilipenditory," which they define as "abusive."

Is it heard in England?
June 24, 2005, 02:06
arnie
quote:
Is it heard in England?
Not by me, at any rate. I'd never heard of it before seeing this thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 24, 2005, 10:30
aput
It's long been one of my favourite words, for its sheer sound coupled with its splendid weight of meaning, but I doubt I've ever heard anyone use it but me.
June 25, 2005, 22:18
Kalleh
quote:
but I doubt I've ever heard anyone use it but me.

Hmmm, I wonder if they understood you! Wink

It is a nice sounding word, I agree, with great sublety of meaning. Yet, it reminds me a little of "millipede" so I tend to envision a big, villainous bug!
June 25, 2005, 23:55
aput
Does it contain pend- 'hang'? Checks... Oh I see, it's more 'weight; esteem' in this. But I think I envisage a villain with mustachios and a victim hanging up in chains, and one or the other vilipending.
June 26, 2005, 19:25
Hic et ubique
aput: "I envisage a villain with mustachios and a victim hanging up in chains"
It does sound like a bodice-ripper word, doesn't it?

arnie: " I'd never heard of it before seeing this thread."
Stumped arnie again??!!?? Mirabile dictu!

PS: In checking the spelling for this, I came across two related words I've never seen before.
mirabilia - n.pl. wonders
mirabiliary - miracle worker.