Wordcraft Community Home Page
rat fink

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4351081221

January 03, 2005, 16:54
jheem
rat fink
I ran across a discussion of the word fink, both as a noun and a verb (and with out). While I recongize the word, it has a slightly archaic sound to me. I think of it as a '50s/'60s slang term, US East Coast in origin. What say all of you?
January 03, 2005, 17:46
Caterwauller
Yup - it feels like an old phrase to me, too. Generally I'd say "dirty rat fink."

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
January 03, 2005, 20:03
KHC
I think gangsters in the 1940's movies referred to their enemies as "dirty rat finks"...

Being archaic myself, I sometimes use the term to describe "connivers and swizzlers"... hey, I think I just made up those words. Smile
January 03, 2005, 20:58
Kalleh
If I used the word "fink," I am sure my kids would laugh uproariously, telling me how very old I really am (which they know I hate to hear!)
January 04, 2005, 18:56
neveu
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?
January 04, 2005, 23:56
aput
Outside 'ratfink', I'd think anyone using it would be consciously echoing 'The King is a fink!'.
January 05, 2005, 08:06
jheem
I'd forgotten about the King of Id. Thanks.
January 05, 2005, 14:10
Caterwauller
Has anyone else heard "fink" used to mean tell on someone? Also known, interestingly, and ratting on someone or ratting someone out . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
January 05, 2005, 15:16
jheem
Yes, I have. That was its primary meaning, I thought.
January 05, 2005, 19:34
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with http://www.ratfink.org/?

Maybe not synonymous, but it does stir a memory or three. So I take it you were a teenager in the 1960s?
January 05, 2005, 22:38
tinman
Fink is a bit older than the '50s and '60s.

The OED Online first records it from 1834, meaning weaver: "One of numerous Asiatic or African tropical birds of the family Ploceidae, so called from the elaborately interwoven nests that many of them build. Also more fully weaver-bird."

It had taken on a new meaning by 1903: "A pejorative term of wide application, esp. a. An unpleasant or contemptible person. b. An informer; a detective. c. A strike-breaker."

In 1925 fink was recorded as an intransitive verb: "U.S. slang. To inform on."

Rat fink came on the scene in 1964: "One who is obnoxious or contemptible, esp. (a) an odiously pretentious person; (b) an informer, a traitor. Also attrib. or as adj. Hence as v. trans., to inform on."

Fink out appeared in 1966: "To withdraw or back out from some venture, esp. through cowardice; to ‘chicken out’. Also to fink out on: to fail in (something), to let (someone) down."

Tinman
January 05, 2005, 23:52
neveu
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with http://www.ratfink.org/?

Maybe not synonymous, but it does stir a memory or three. So I take it you were a teenager in the 1960s?

'60s, '70s, '80s, most of the '90s, 2002, 2003...
January 06, 2005, 06:03
jheem
Fink and rat fink are terms that I associated with mad magazine in the late '50s and throughout the '60s. Fink is German for finch (families Fringilliadae, Estrildidae, and Emberizidae). I remember the models, having built one or two myself, but always though they were using a common term.