Wordcraft Community Home Page
Have you seen a resurgence?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4401066772

December 07, 2005, 07:17
shufitz
Have you seen a resurgence?
I read, "The American Empire has seen a resurgence in recent years."

Is that a good usage? I mean, the Empire hasn't 'seen' a resurgence. It has 'had' one, and observers have seen it happen.

Yes, I know this is picking a nit, but is the source I read technically wrong?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,
December 07, 2005, 08:24
aput
In my work I am constantly reading text like "its profile has witnessed a thrilling resurgence recently and is now leading the real estate charge", and so I find "see a resurgence" refreshing literal and uncomplicated.

Going back to the literal root, I suppose it's waves that rise back up. There's not much that literal resurgers can do except resurge; I'd be reluctant to say that a wave literally had a resurgence. So 'have' and 'undergo' are already paddling a little into the metaphorical sea, and 'experience' is only slightly deeper water. What can experience can see. Whatever is personified or reified as having a resurgence has thereby been given other cognitive powers including sight, so they can see their resurgence as they're experiencing it.
December 08, 2005, 21:13
Kalleh
What an eloquent discussion, Aput.

This may be one of those times when the terminology is changing, whether or not it is right, Shu. I surely hear that phrase a lot.
December 09, 2005, 17:54
<Asa Lovejoy>
So, even the folks at the Wall Street Journal are admitting to our imperialist intentions? Frown Confused Roll Eyes
December 18, 2005, 12:02
Richard English
Since America has never, until recently, had Imperial ambitions, let alone an Empire, how could it have a resurgence?

Richard English
December 18, 2005, 18:49
Kalleh
Good point, Richard (and welcome back! Wink). I agree; we can hardly call it an "American Empire" in the first place.