Wordcraft Community Home Page
Marble ceilig

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4421097724

January 19, 2007, 20:21
shufitz
Marble ceilig
Elsewhere I mentioned a bit of Rep. Nancy Pelosi's January 4 acceptance speech as Speaker of the House of Representatives. Let me quote a full paragraph.Is this legit, or is it Pelosi's coinage? I find almost over 75,000 ghits, but almost 2/3 of them vanish if you eliminate those including the word "Pelosi", and many of those that remain have to do with literal ceilings made of marble.

Comments?
January 20, 2007, 04:14
zmježd
It's understandable. People have often spoke of a glass ceiling in business. This marble ceiling Ms Pelosi speaks of has to do with the hallowed halls of gummint.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 20, 2007, 17:37
Kalleh
Shu, much to your dismay, I suspect it will stay.
January 21, 2007, 10:13
shufitz
I suspect it will stay.

Could be. Time will tell, and if I were a betting man I'd wager on your side of the question.

My question, however, was a different one: as of now, does it have enough currency to be considered a term suitable for the dictionary? What do we wordcrafters think?
January 22, 2007, 20:01
Kalleh
I suppose not, at this point.
January 23, 2007, 02:31
arnie
If, as has been implied, it is a very recent coinage in America, I should think any dictionary would be wise to see if it stayed around a while before even considering it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.