Wordcraft Community Home Page
Shameful vs. Shameless

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/464109845

March 26, 2010, 19:35
Kalleh
Shameful vs. Shameless
The other day I was reading a politically oriented article about guess what (the big topic in the U.S. right now...health care) and the author used the term "shameful." I then began to wonder about the difference between "shameful" and "shameless" and didn't see much, even though one might think them opposite terms (with "ful" and "less"). Do you use them differently? If so, how?
March 26, 2010, 19:47
Geoff
An unscrupulous act committed by someone is a shameful one; his doing it without qualms is shameless. Yeah, I think there's a difference.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
March 27, 2010, 07:02
<Proofreader>
For Tiger Woods to have sex with women other than his wife is shameful. To do it on the eighteenth green at the Masters would be shameless.

The Tiger Woods Story

My wife’s attitude I would inflame less
If I tucked things away. I’d be blameless,
But the babes in the bar
Carry flirting too far
And their conduct is really quite shameless.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,
March 27, 2010, 20:00
Kalleh
quote:
Yeah, I think there's a difference.

I don't always think they're used differently, though.
March 28, 2010, 04:39
zmježd
I think it's a matter of who is making the ethical judgment. With a shameful event or activity, it can be either the person doing it or a third party, but a shameless person does not judge what he's doing as shameful. That is the third party's judgment.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 28, 2010, 07:21
Geoff
Proofreader, it's not Woods' fault if, being a golfer, women want to see his driver.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
March 28, 2010, 08:46
<Proofreader>
They all said something about his putts.
March 28, 2010, 15:30
Kalleh
That's a good point, z. I wish I would have written down the comment which made me wonder about it. I can't even remember where it was right now, but from z's analysis, I am assuming they should have used "shameless" because clearly there is a lot of shameless propaganda going on these days.