Wordcraft Community Home Page
Cheesy

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4671008311

December 14, 2004, 18:01
Kalleh
Cheesy
I heard some kids call something cheesy today, and I began to wonder how "cheese" came to mean something cheap and chintzy. I went to word detective who said it is because of the unpleasant smell of overripe cheese. But I surely question that. After all, "cheesy" means shoddy or cheap...not unpleasant. Any other thoughts?

BTW, I was intrigued by their explanation of "big cheese." I had always wondered how "big cheese" (someone important) and "cheesy" could mean something so opposite. I understand that it evolved as a mutation of Urdu, for the word "chiz." Yet, "chiz" means "thing." Strange how "thing" evolved to mean "someone important."
December 16, 2004, 16:29
Caterwauller
Makes me think of a song we sing:

I love cheesy poofs
you love cheesy poofs
if it weren't for cheesy poofs
we'd all be dead.

Unfortunatly, I think it might actually be from that horrible show, South Park. The song is good, though.

Big Grin --- Cheesy grin

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
December 16, 2004, 19:08
Kalleh
Being from Wisconsin, I am a little sensitive about the reference to being cheesy or, worse, a cheesehead. Wink
December 16, 2004, 21:06
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Being from Wisconsin, I am a little sensitive about the reference to being _cheesy_ or, worse, a _cheesehead_. Wink

Hey, we've got Tillamook and Bandon cheese here in Oregon, so you aren't the only cheesehead! ;-) Oh, did you ever notice that the Wisconsin cheesehead hat is a coxcomb? Big Grin
December 17, 2004, 17:19
Caterwauller
Have you all seen the Wallace and Gromit cartoon "A Grand Day Out" where Wallace and Gromit make a space ship and travel to the moon for cheese?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama