Wordcraft Community Home Page
'simumtaneous' vs. 'concurrent'

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5101085025

January 30, 2008, 09:44
shufitz
'simumtaneous' vs. 'concurrent'
What's the difference between 'simumtaneously' and 'concurrently'? (If any.)
January 30, 2008, 11:01
arnie
I assume you mean 'simultaneous? Cool

There's no difference to my mind; in fact, Onelook gives the exactly same quick definition for both: simultaneous and concurrent.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 30, 2008, 12:54
neveu
I would say that simultaneous refers to two things happening at the same moment or instant of time, e.g. the flashbulbs went off simultaneously, and concurrent refers to two things happening together over a period of time, e.g. the photographers worked concurrently.
January 30, 2008, 12:56
zmježd
Latin simul 'together, at the same time'. (According to the A-H dictionary, the -taneous is a misanalysis of instantaneous.) This reminds me of the sameness of coincidence and synchronicity.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 30, 2008, 13:26
jerry thomas
On a trip in the USA middle-west I noticed many small grocery stores bearing signs labelling them CONVENIENT STORE ..... (the "s" phoneme of "convenience" has melded with that of "store.")
January 30, 2008, 17:02
Kalleh
I see a slight difference, and I think neveu as articulated it. How about concomitant? I've always loved that word. I see that closer to concurrent than simultaneous is.