Wordcraft Community Home Page
So to speak

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5121046184

July 31, 2007, 19:46
Kalleh
So to speak
Is the phrase "so to speak" hackneyed? I use it every so often and used it in this post. See Bethree's response. After using the phrase, I decided to read a little about it. I found a discussion in Phrasefinder. While they couldn't find much about it, but they discouraged the use. What do you think?
August 02, 2007, 04:29
wordmatic
Not hackneyed, I don't think, because not that many people use it. It's more of an upper crust way of saying "sort of" or "in a way," and right up there with "as it were" as bethree5 says.

It lends a tinge of "so-called" to whatever statement has just been made, softening it, removing the speaker a tad from direct responsibility for the impact of his words. It's like a tiny little buffer that says, "don't blame me; that's just what other's say!" Or it can be a way of pointing out something clever that has just been said, as in the instance that set off this new thread! Wink

WM
August 03, 2007, 17:45
tinman
William Safire wrote an article about terms such as so to speak, if you will, and as it were. He calls them "deferentialisms" and "verbal stutter-steps. He says rhetoricians call them metanoia or correctio.

Tinman
August 03, 2007, 19:18
wordmatic
It will be nice to fling in the face of a certain deferentialist I know such lines as, "Don't you think you're being a little metanoid?" or "I stand correctio, your honor!"

Wordmatic
August 03, 2007, 21:01
Kalleh
Nice article, Tinman, and I wish you'd check in on us a little more frequently. Smile

I liked Safire's description of deferentialisms as being "smarmily pretentious;" I think I shall refrain from using them!