Wordcraft Community Home Page
A Leg Up

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5131088535

April 29, 2008, 11:38
wordmatic
A Leg Up
OK, a discussion just broke out in my office about the expression "having a leg up."

One person remarked that our student team at the Model U.N. last week "had a leg up" over the others because their adviser is a former ambassador.

Then she said, "That's an awful expression, isn't it?"

I've always thought having a leg up or getting a leg up meant being a step ahead of everybody else.

My friend and I agree, though, that the phrase also evokes visions of a dog getting a leg up at a fire hydrant.

Does anybody know the origin of this expression and whether it derives from some specific competitive sport...or does it actually refer to canine displays of dominance?

Wordmatic
April 29, 2008, 11:43
BobHale
Without looking it up I can only say how I've always interpreted it with the image of someone cupping their hands together to provide a step for someone to put their foot into to help lift them.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 29, 2008, 16:19
tinman
I think Bob's right. I think it may have originally been associated with mounting a horse. No, Asa, not that kind of mounting!

Here's what the OED Online says about it:
quote:
to give a person a leg up, to help him to climb up or get over an obstacle, mount (a horse, etc.); fig., to help over a difficulty; hence leg-up n., a help, support, boost.

1837 DICKENS Pickw. xvi, The wall is very low, sir, and your servant will give you a leg up.

Here's another phrase:

quote:
to lift, lift up (or heave up) the leg: said of a dog voiding urine.

1591 SHAKES. Two Gent. IV. iv. 41 When did'st thou see me heaue vp my leg, and make water against a Gentlewomans farthingale.

April 29, 2008, 19:56
wordmatic
Farthingale?
quote:
• noun historical a hooped petticoat or circular pad of fabric around the hips, formerly worn under women’s skirts to extend and shape them.

— ORIGIN French verdugale, from Spanish verdugo ‘rod, stick’

Compact OED, via Onelook.

Thanks for the research.

Wordmatic
April 30, 2008, 06:11
<Asa Lovejoy>
So, Tinman, it appears that your "mind reading" omits Shakespeare and includes only me! Big Grin
April 30, 2008, 09:36
pearce
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I think Bob's right. I think it may have originally been associated with mounting a horse. No, Asa, not that kind of mounting!

Are you hinting at that other well known metaphor "getting your leg over"?
April 30, 2008, 19:35
Kalleh
quote:
Thanks for the research.
If we were to hand out awards here, Tinman would win for his excellent research. We all know what Asa would win his award for. Wink
April 30, 2008, 19:52
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
[QUOTE] We all know what Asa would win his award for. Wink
Award? Don't you mean, "sentence?" Roll Eyes
May 01, 2008, 19:50
Kalleh
No. You make us all laugh, Asa.
May 01, 2008, 20:50
jerry thomas
I was negligent about the latest Limerick event. Here's one that I fling out for what it's worth .......

For speakers and writers the chore
Is to learn the rhetorical lore
Placing facts, truth, and fiction,
In juxtaposition,
Else what is a meta, like, phor ?
May 02, 2008, 05:07
wordmatic
Truly inspired, JT, truly inspired.

I guess you have a leg up on all of us.

And let's not analyze that statement too closely (Asa!)

Wordmatic
May 02, 2008, 06:57
Caterwauller
quote:
well known metaphor "getting your leg over"?

Actually, that phrase is not really common around here. I've heard it used by UK folks, but never by Americans.

However, I do know a great song that includes bawdy couplet verses called "Roll Your Leg Over"

Chorus:
Roll your leg over, oh roll your leg over
Roll your leg over, it's better that way!

For the verses, you can find a great collection here. or here If anyone coming to the Gathering wants to hear the tune, I'll gladly oblige if there aren't many children around. Wink

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
May 03, 2008, 03:22
pearce
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
[QUOTE]well known metaphor "getting your leg over"?

That is very rude, but I confess it made me laugh. Thanks C.