Wordcraft Community Home Page
Generation names...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5341022583

September 27, 2006, 20:15
Kalleh
Generation names...
I just heard a presentation from a very famous speaker who said the current generation is known as the "soccer practice generation." Has anyone else heard that phrase before? I couldn't find it in Google.
September 28, 2006, 09:02
neveu
I never heard of it. What does "current generation" mean? Twelve-year-olds?
September 28, 2006, 09:53
Richard English
quote:
soccer practice generation

Maybe it means that they're the first ever generation of Americans to realise that football means a game where the ball is kicked with the feet - as opposed to being picked up by massive men in spacesuits who then run into one another.

Richard English
September 28, 2006, 15:12
neveu
Sounds more like the first generation to learn that soccer means a game in which the ball is kicked with the (primarily adolescent female) feet.
September 28, 2006, 21:09
Kalleh
I think she meant the generation Xers; those who were raised being programmed and playing soccer.

While off the subject, I found the speaker, for being very famous in her field, rather bland and not nearly as "innovative" in her approach to mentoring as we had been led to believe. Therefore, I asked a few people what they thought of her. "She was wonderful," was each response. Then when I sais, "Really? I was a bit disappointed," they'd say, "Oh yes, she wasn't that good at all!" I suspect they felt they'd better praise her since she was so famous, but when they were given "permission" not to, they were more truthful.
September 29, 2006, 01:11
Richard English
quote:
Sounds more like the first generation to learn that soccer means a game in which the ball is kicked with the (primarily adolescent female) feet.

In which country does this happen? I might even be tempted to watch a game - if only for the bit at the end where the players swap shirts.

Richard English
September 29, 2006, 02:45
Caterwauller
I liked soccer for a while in college, when the college men practiced right outside my dorm window. Yummy afternoon snack for the eyes.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
September 29, 2006, 09:28
dalehileman
The current generation comprises Gens X and Y, covering '60's thru '90's. Both are part of Gen M, which stands for Me, Myself, I, Marketing, etc

Those qualifying as young Muslims are called Gen Jihad
October 02, 2006, 18:56
wordmatic
I thought Gen X was late 80s-early 90s; Gen Y was late 90s and have heard the current generation called Generation Next, but never the Soccer Generation. But I googled it and found 15,000 ghits for SG.

This Wikipedia page has a list of all the generations that ever were, since generations began to collect nicknames:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

And Kalleh, you are not going to tell us whether your famous speaker was named Margaret or Sarah or Hillary or Claire or [your best guess here], are you??? Big Grin

Wordmatic
October 03, 2006, 16:10
dalehileman
word: THank you for that. Yes, but

Generation X is a term for a cohort of people born following the peak of the post-World War II baby boom....While all sources agree the group includes at least some people born in the 1960s....--Wikipedia

Otherwise, I'm amenable to an expr for those born from the '60's to the'80s

This is very serious stuff
October 03, 2006, 21:08
Kalleh
quote:
And Kalleh, you are not going to tell us whether your famous speaker was named Margaret or Sarah or Hillary or Claire or [your best guess here], are you???

Oh, wordmatic, in thinking about it, I was definitely embellishing (which is a fault of mine!). She is famous in legal circles, I am told, but not being a lawyer, I don't even recall her name right now. I will have to look it up when I get to work. Sorry!

[Hillary did fly the American flag over the White House in celebration of our meeting, if that's a consolation Wink...at least that's what we were told.]

Dale, while my theory isn't much respected in professional circles (in fact I am laughed at!), I theorize that none of the generations are that different. We have all had the me-generation type or the anals or the workaholics or women who wanted to stay home with their children or those who wanted flexible hours, etc. I get annoyed hearing the intricate analyses of all the generations. I just don't find it all that reliable, but I suppose there's no proving my theory and too many people make lots of money from writing about those "generation theories."