Wordcraft Community Home Page
Staff has/have

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5431068494

September 25, 2007, 17:49
shufitz
Staff has/have
This prompted by a sign seen in a local public library. Which do you say (and is this a UK/US difference)?Library staff <B>has been instructed</B> to inspect packages if alarm sounds.<BR>Library staff <B>have been instructed</B> to inspect packages if alarm sounds.staff has been instructed -- and I'm UK/Commonwealthstaff has been instructed -- and I'm USstaff have been instructed -- and I'm UK/Commonwealthstaff have been instructed -- and I'm US
September 25, 2007, 19:05
goofy
I chose the first one because I'm Canadian, so I guess that's Commonwealth. M-W's Dictionary of English dictionary calls this notional agreement, and it is a UK/NA difference.
September 25, 2007, 22:14
Kalleh
I always say faculty is or faculty members are, so I'd say staff the same way.

BTW, nice to see you again, goofy. Stop by more often!
September 26, 2007, 11:51
BobHale
I need an "other".

I use both about equally, as I do with other similar nouns such as team or government.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
September 30, 2007, 07:24
Caterwauller
I usually say "staff have" but MS Word always tries to correct me to say "staff has".

Whis is correct?

In which library did you see the sign?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
September 30, 2007, 08:40
BobHale
BOTH are correct. That's the point. It depends on whether you are considering the staff (team/band/orchestra/committee/etc) as a single entity or a collection of individuals.

To say one or the other is incorrect and should be corrected is prescriptive nonsense.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.