Wordcraft Community Home Page
exsangui(n)ous

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5790061266

April 02, 2013, 18:35
BobHale
exsangui(n)ous
I have a limerick over at the OEDILF on the word "exsanguinous" (drained of blood) and after a few minor tweaks it's sailed through their approval process.

Someone has suggested adding the word "exsanguious" (no "n") as a synonym.

I checked and sure enough a few dictionaries at Onelook carry this variation. To me it has the look of one of those dictionary transcription errors as the version without the "n" doesn't seem to make much etymological sense.

Does anyone know if that's the case? Or maybe not?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 02, 2013, 18:58
Geoff
I find no alternative to exsanguinate, so I think it's an error. However, exsanguinate could be used as an adjective, I suppose, and would be a synonym.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
April 02, 2013, 19:01
Geoff
PS: Are there any vampires in China whom you could ask?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
April 02, 2013, 19:11
goofy
"exsanguious" in the OED, from Latin exsanguis "bloodless": sanguis "blood".

"exsanguinous" is formed on the inflected forms of "sanguis": "sanguinis, sanguinī, sanguinem sanguine" etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,
April 02, 2013, 19:14
Kalleh
It's an interesting question, Bob. I've not heard of it in the medical world, but then I suppose there's a lot I haven't heard about. I'd say you are right. It may be because of the Latin origins from ex and sanguis or sanguinis, as goofy points out.

Have any of you ever heard the term exsangious, though? Also, none of the dictionaries that have it are all that reputable. I think it's a mistake, and I'd not add that word.
April 02, 2013, 19:23
goofy
exsanguious is not a mistake. As I say, it's in the OED and it has no n because it has a slightly different etymology. It's not very common though, there are only 3 citations and the latest is 1841.
April 02, 2013, 21:27
BobHale
Is it marked as archaic or obsolete?

April 03, 2013, 06:18
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Is it marked as archaic or obsolete?

no
April 03, 2013, 19:50
Kalleh
quote:
exsanguious is not a mistake. As I say, it's in the OED and it has no n because it has a slightly different etymology. It's not very common though, there are only 3 citations and the latest is 1841.
Well, I really don't get it then. What is the difference in meaning? Nothing? If the meaning is identical (and I think it is), it certainly doesn't make sense, particularly if it's not used. It's one thing to have synonyms of words, but to have the same word, with one letter missing and with the same meaning? If you say that's all true, goofy, I am going to write John Simpson and ask him about it.
April 03, 2013, 20:45
goofy
I'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the way things happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,
April 04, 2013, 03:19
BobHale
Apparently "exsanguineous" (with an extra "e") is also a variant spelling.

April 04, 2013, 06:49
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
exsanguineous

The OED says that one is obsolete.
April 04, 2013, 06:56
Geoff
Then let's all start using it! Big Grin

April 05, 2013, 20:43
Kalleh
quote:
I'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the way things happened.
After I wrote that, goofy, and got off the computer, I realized that of course it isn't considered another word...just a variant spelling. Duh! It has been a busy week here in Charlotte!
April 06, 2013, 09:02
Geoff
So have we bled this thread till it's dead? Roll Eyes

April 06, 2013, 15:40
bethree5
bloody interesting, wot