Wordcraft Community Home Page
No rest for the???

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5810091356

August 14, 2012, 20:56
Kalleh
No rest for the???
My family always said, "no rest for the wicked." When I came to Chicago, people looked at me like I was crazy when I said that, and they said it is "no rest for the weary." In looking them up online, it seems both have some veracity. I guess they are separate sayings?

This Blog had an interesting perspective that the "no rest for the weary" is the working class variation? I doubt that since one couldn't come from more of a working class family than I did.
August 14, 2012, 22:14
arnie
I've only come across "no rest for the wicked". A "weary" variant seems like an eggcorn to me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 15, 2012, 20:31
Kalleh
Well, most people in my neck of the woods say "weary," and many of them are from quite cultured backgrounds.
August 16, 2012, 03:46
zmježd
weary / wicked

I'd guess that it is a regional difference as Kalleh suggested. It probably started as a euphemism so as not to mention "wicked". The saying may go back to the Old Testament: Isiah 57:21, "[There is] no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." According to what I googled up, there are other candidates.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 16, 2012, 08:04
<Proofreader>
Things were so bad rest-wise in colonial America that the residents of what is now Kingston, RI, named their village Little Rest.
August 16, 2012, 10:56
Geoff
I've heard it both ways. I suspect "wicked" is the earlier, being Old Testiment-derived, as Z says. If you're Julian Assange it's "No rest for the Wiki."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
September 01, 2012, 09:44
Caterwauller
I've heard both, but usually say "wicked" just because I like the word. Also, I like this song.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
September 01, 2012, 17:34
bethree5
Cool song, caterwauler. First time I heard it, & this thread is my first encounter with "no rest for the wicked." I always thought "no rest for the weary" made perfect sense, but w/the Biblical quote ('peace' instead of 'rest') it makes sense the other way too.
September 01, 2012, 17:59
<Proofreader>
EVERYBODY'S wrong. It should be "no rest for the married."
September 02, 2012, 21:27
Kalleh
Interesting video, CW!

Bethree, I have always been teased for saying "no rest for the wicked," so I thought my mom had just embellished it, as she did with a number of phrases. However, I see that's not the case.