Wordcraft Community Home Page
Panting: singularly lacking

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6526002683

July 31, 2003, 12:19
wordnerd
Panting: singularly lacking
It occured to me that words such as pants and shenanigans are used only in the plural. The singular is lacking: you never fix a pant or commit a shenanigan.

What are others of this type, and is there a general reason that explains many of these anomalies?
July 31, 2003, 14:33
Kalleh
Ah, but my dog has a good "pant"! Wink
July 31, 2003, 23:08
the_bear
Scissors, breeches, trousers, tweezers, forceps, compasses (geom.), braces (US suspenders), coffee grounds, lees, grouchings (beer sediment), dregs, pliers, calipurs, jodhpurs, pyjamas, knickers, drawers, briefs, shorts, bloomers, culottes, spectacles, finings ...

It seems things which are bifurcated or powder-like are most likely to be used in the plural.
August 02, 2003, 08:23
<Asa Lovejoy>
t seems things which are bifurcated or powder-like are most likely to be used in the
plural.
--------------------------------------------
Oh, am I confused! For years I've been serving myself with a salad tong and eating with a forks.

Seriously, I find it odd that a fork, which is seldom bifurcate, but three or four-pronged, is singular.
August 02, 2003, 14:01
Kalleh
I have always said "shenanigan" anyway, and when I look it up on dictionary.com, it is listed as "a shenanigan", though it does say that it's often used in the plural.

Still, I agree with you that some it is strange that some words are singular (fork), while others (pants) are plural.

Now, Asa, I have to disagree with you about "tong"; I do say "tongs", and dictionary.com says, "To seize, hold, or manipulate with tongs." You wouldn't say to hold with a tong, would you?

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Aug 2nd, 2003 at 14:09.]
August 02, 2003, 16:12
Morgan
quote:
Seriously, I find it odd that a fork, which is seldom bifurcate, but three or four-pronged, is singular.

Well, Asa, have you ever been at a backyard picnic with those wonderful plastic forks? You start with a fork, then a tine breaks off. Now you have a threek. Another tine breaks off and you have a twok. When one more breaks off, you call that an unk and throw the durn thing out! Wink Big Grin Razz