Wordcraft Community Home Page
"Lebensmittel"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6541058245

June 13, 2008, 13:30
shufitz
"Lebensmittel"
New word for me. (The Germans do have some interesting terms, don't they?) I'll quote at a bit of length, from the chairman of Nestlé, speaking in today's Wall Street Journal.

June 13, 2008, 14:08
goofy
I thought Lebensmittel usually just meant "food". Lebensmittelgeschäft is a grocery store.
June 13, 2008, 14:44
BobHale
I agree. The only meaning I've ever heard is "groceries".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 13, 2008, 15:01
zmježd
If you wish to translate the two words literally into English Leben 'life, living' and Mittel 'medium; mean'. (The two words are cognate with English live and middle.) Some synonyms in English foodstuff, victual (regional term vittles), and viand, the latter two being similar in literal meaning Latin victus 'means of livelihood' vivendum 'living' (gerund of vivere). (The first citaiton in Grimm's dictionary is the middle of the 13th century, a bit before grocery stores or greengrocer's apostrophes.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 15, 2008, 18:32
lop
I'm reminded of that nasty little guy from Austria who used " lebensraum " as a reson for doing all sorts of nasty things. If i'm not mistaken are they not similar terms?
June 16, 2008, 06:09
zmježd
lebensraum

Yes, the terms are related in that they share the first word, leben 'living', so Lebensraum is literally 'living room'. It can be translated as 'habitat' or 'space for living' or left in its German form (in history books).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.