Wordcraft Community Home Page
Pronunciation of Error

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7010063666

September 24, 2013, 20:49
Kalleh
Pronunciation of Error
How do you pronounce error? I found a short discussion of it here from 2008 where some said that it is similar to mirror for them, which is pronounced with 2 syllables. I pronounce both mirror and error with one syllable.

I ask because recently I was at a conference, and the speaker, from the East, pronounced error close to air-or, definitely with 2 syllables.

How do you pronounce it?
September 25, 2013, 05:55
zmježd
Two syllables: /'ɛɹɚ/ with the first vowel as in pet and the second one as the second one in sofa. I believe that is standard for General American.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
September 25, 2013, 19:44
Kalleh
Well, we talk about medical errors a lot in my field, and this was the first I've heard such a stress on two syllables, particularly the last. Sometimes it's hard to write about pronunciations, I believe (even when using IPA), because of the nuances of syllables. Pronunciation guides like IPA are easier for the sound of the letters, but that wasn't the issue here.

At any rate, I can tell you, the way this speaker pronounced error was not standard for General American. I just wondered if it were standard for the East coast. I do think it is standard for British English, from what I could see in that 2008 discussion.
September 26, 2013, 06:00
zmježd
Sure. The best way would be to record the pronunciations for analysis. I added the IPA to show how I pronounce the two syllables. In speech, mirror is a lot like fire, i.e., 1 or 1.5 syllables.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
September 26, 2013, 17:54
Geoff
I do the 1.5 syllable rendering of fire. As for error, I use two syllables. Is that an error?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
September 26, 2013, 18:16
<Proofreader>
I always say mistake.
September 26, 2013, 20:05
Kalleh
Proof, you are from the East; how do you say error? I probably say it like I do fire - with 1 1/2 syllables.

However, Geoff and z aren't from the East so I don't get it. I'm going to listen more carefully. Perhaps I have misremembered how people say it.
September 26, 2013, 20:57
<Proofreader>
EH-rah
September 27, 2013, 20:33
Kalleh
Interesting. This speaker was from NC so there would be some southern component to her accent. She said it something like, eh-ROAR - really odd, in my opinion.
October 10, 2013, 18:53
Kalleh
I had a committee in with people from around the country. As part of their introductions, I asked them to pronounce "error." Sure enough, those from the midwest tended to say "air;" the one person from North Carolina definitely said "air-ROAR." The others seemed to say "AIR-roar." So interesting.