Wordcraft Community Home Page
Latin/Greek root of capernoited

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7171046252

October 02, 2005, 22:58
Sometimes Mary
Latin/Greek root of capernoited
Hi, does anybody know the formal definition of capernoited, as well as its Greek/Latin roots? Thanks!
October 03, 2005, 07:31
zmježd
The OED1 says etymology unknown. It is a Scottish term.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 03, 2005, 11:11
arnie
There are varying definitions depending on which source you use. Many simply say it means slightly intoxicated or tipsy; others that it means peevish; irritable; crabbed; snappish. A few combine them to say it means peevishly or irritably drunk.

As zmjezhd says it is of Scottish origin. I suspect it's a nonsense word, along the same lines as pifflecated, or nimptopsical.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 03, 2005, 11:45
zmježd
quote:
pifflecated

I am reminded of a pre-computer-graphical use of the word pixelated for inebriated.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 03, 2005, 15:22
shufitz
uh, not quite, z. Computer graphics are pixelated, while one who is mildly tipsy is pixilated. See here. But admittedly, some authorities give both meaning for the first spelling.

Checking this out led to an interesting factoid. Apparently pixilated, akin to capernoited, was popularized by the 1936 hit movie Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. Sounds like a good movie, too.
October 03, 2005, 15:45
zmježd
Very interesting. I pronouce them the same, and Mr Deeds Goes to Town may be where I heard it last. The computational term pixel is supposed to be a sort of portmanteau abbreviation: picture + s + element. Pixilated is supposedly from pixie. So, in one case we have an epnethetic s and in the other a mysterious suffix -la-. Perhaps as in pixie elated ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 03, 2005, 19:12
wordnerd
Welcome to our board, Mary.

It's a very interesting question, interesting enough to have been the lead item of an article in Verbatim Magazine. I'll quote Verbatim verbatim.
Amazing what you can find when someone is good enough to ask a good question. Thanks!
October 03, 2005, 20:59
Kalleh
Welcome to our board, Mary! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool

And what a great question, too. I have learned a lot.
October 03, 2005, 21:09
tinman
Welcome, Sometime Mary. Your name is very intriguing. Who are you when you're not Mary? If you care to share how you picked your Wordcraft name, please post it on Names and what they mean. That goes for the rest of you, too. I'm always curious about the nicknames people choose on this forum.

Tinman

Oops! I forgot the s. Sorry, Sometimes Mary.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,
October 09, 2005, 09:41
<Asa Lovejoy>
Glad to hear a new voice here, S. Mary!

I'm surprised to see "aquavitae" showing up in a Scottish song. How widespread is this euphamism for booze? I know the Swedes use it, and I wonder if "vodka" might be related to this Latin term.
October 09, 2005, 10:03
zmježd
Vodka is related to English water, but not Latin aqua. It is from the Russian voda 'water' + -ka dim. suffix. Aqua vitae 'water of life' is the standard Latin term for distilled alcohol. English alcohol is from the Arabic. It's various etymologies are discussed at Wikipedia.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 09, 2005, 15:37
arnie
The name 'whisky' comes from the Gaelic uisge beatha, meaning 'water of life', just as does 'aqua vitae'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.