Wordcraft Community Home Page
Inadvertent error

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7470098846

May 14, 2012, 11:04
Kalleh
Inadvertent error
We all know by now that Scott Thompson's resignation from Yahoo came from an "inadvertent error" in that he lied on his resume about having a computer degree. So, is there an "advertent" error?
May 14, 2012, 17:31
Geoff
Probably so. After all, I'm occasionally inadvertently correct. Roll Eyes

PS: Who's this Scott Tompson guy? I really haven't a clue!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
May 14, 2012, 20:38
Kalleh
Well, it's in the link. However, he was the Yahoo CEO (for 5 months) who lied that he had a computer science degree. It was quite easily found out as his university didn't even offer that degree when he was there. I couldn't understand why he'd lie about it.
May 15, 2012, 01:56
arnie
He seems to have redefined "inadvertent error" to mean "lie". His "inadvertent error" was in getting found out.

I can't see that there can really be an "advertent error". An error is a mistake; if someone makes an error on purpose it can't really be called an error.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 15, 2012, 06:52
wordmatic
You would have thought the folks at Yahoo! would have been smart enough to check his credentials before hiring him.

As for his inadvertent error, I would think it actually was advertent.

(Oops! I inadvertently claimed a Ph.D. in biophysics from M.I.T.--Sorry!)

Wordmatic