Wordcraft Community Home Page
Bless me.

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7691037303

March 01, 2006, 07:42
Duncan Howell
Bless me.
I was reading Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian and I came across the following:

page 41...

page 104...

and page 273...

I couldn't figure out blessing in these contexts, but then I remembered this from Bobbie Burns:

There seems, to me, to be a vague parallel between Burns's usage and O'Brian's. Something to do with "left-overs" or "remainders". Burns uses lave which means "what's left" and O'Brian, at least on page 41, seems to refer to the patient's reserve of blood.

Is this an obsolete use for blessing? All these references are historical or historical fiction.
March 01, 2006, 19:52
Kalleh
Well, I can tell you that in all those contexts I could see the Jewish use of blessing working. Jews have blessings (prayers) for a number of different activities. For example, in the first, he should do very well, as long as you pray for him (a blessing). In the second he is joining for both prayer (blessing) and breakfast. In the next, he could be referring to the travel blessing.

I don't know, though. Obviously these aren't Jewish authors. Would other religions use it this way?
March 02, 2006, 02:51
arnie
Maybe the usage here is some sort of shorthand for "with God's blessing" or "if God wills". Those phrases could all be substituted for "blessing" and still make sense; although it might not be the right sense!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.