Wordcraft Community Home Page
gastroc nemius

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7931068491

May 08, 2005, 07:55
Quark
gastroc nemius
Every definition I find for gastro or gastric relates to the stomach. Why is a muscle with this prefix in my lower leg? The dictionaries I have searched so far only relate nemius to gastroc nemius which is not helpfull.
May 08, 2005, 08:36
Doad
Sounds like one for Kalleh this one
May 08, 2005, 08:43
Doad
quote:
Originally posted by Quark:Why is a muscle with this prefix in my lower leg?

I may have found something. It says here that it is 'The muscle which gives a 'bellying' form to the calf of the leg'. The association seems obvious but I still think that Kalleh would be able to tell you more.
May 08, 2005, 09:48
Quark
The visual simmilarity seemed too obvious. Besides it is more of a party seven than a six pack. Hardly an athletic immage. I have now found a better origin of nemius part as the Nemare Valley in Greece where games were held.
May 10, 2005, 03:18
Doad
Most men are more likely to have a party 7 than a 6 pack. Come to think of it, most men are likely to have considerably more than a party 7! Nevertheless, you are obviously free to dismiss my pearls of wisdom if you wish. Brothers!!! Roll Eyes
May 10, 2005, 06:38
<Asa Lovejoy>
Ummm, are you two pulling my leg?
May 10, 2005, 11:46
neveu
The bellying hypothesis sounds reasonable enough to me. Most anatomical names are visually descriptive. Sella turcica and substantia nigra are among my favs.
May 10, 2005, 19:10
<Asa Lovejoy>
My fav is Dura Mater - "Tough Mother! Considering the number of times I've been dropped on my head, I'm glad she tough! ;-)
May 10, 2005, 21:05
Kalleh
Yes, you are correct about "gastrocnemius." The "gastroc" refers to belly (of the muscle), while kneme is "leg" in Greek.

Yes, medical words are great, aren't they? I like how so many are related to colors as aput recently pointed out in a thread (like leukocyte or erthyrocyte).