Wordcraft Community Home Page
Infectivity

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/8061057471

March 28, 2005, 19:10
<Asa Lovejoy>
Infectivity
This morning during my commute to work I listened to the news on NPR and heard some bureaucrat, when discussing the incineration of diseased animal carcasses, utter the above. I suspect that it's his own coinage, and a clumsy one at that. Has anyone else heard anyone say it - other than an apparatchik?
March 28, 2005, 20:47
Kalleh
Can't say that I've heard it before, but it is in dictionary.com, meaning, "capable of producing infection; infectious."

You see, this is one of those times when jheem and I disagree. I don't understand why 2 words like this exist (infectious and infectivity) when they mean precisely the same thing.
March 29, 2005, 00:07
Doad
It certainly appears in my dictionary as well so I assume it wasn't one of his own coinage unless he is exceptionally old. Nevertheless, I would agree that it sounds rather clumsy and certainly wouldn't be a word I would choose. Like Kalleh, I would always opt for infectious instead.
March 29, 2005, 00:14
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I don't understand why 2 words like this exist (infectious and infectivity) when they mean precisely the same thing.

They wouldn't though, would they?. Wouldn't infectious be an adjective and infectivity a noun?
Infectivity would be the same as infectiousness.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 29, 2005, 04:29
jheem
Infectivity returns 171K googlehits. Seems like a strange word to me, but it's definitely one used in medicine.

One definition I found online is: "The proportion of persons exposed to an infectious agent who become infected by it."
March 29, 2005, 06:32
<Asa Lovejoy>
Jheem, that's just how he used it, so I supppose it's part of the jargon of the disease control folk. And Bob, you're right!