Wordcraft Community Home Page
Organic food

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/8151089553

July 16, 2006, 08:05
<Asa Lovejoy>
Organic food
It seems to some that the term "organic food," which once implied for most people food grown in an entirely natural way, has been hijacked by the big agri-businesses, and it doesn't mean much of anything now. I've long thought the term too vague, since such products as the banned DDT are products of organic (carbon-based) chemistry. The French use the term, "biologique." That makes more sense to me. How do you see this issue?

See this review for one slant: http://www.powells.com//review/2006_07_16
July 16, 2006, 09:01
zmježd
big agri-business

You forgot big biz's partner in crime, the Gummint. They've been involved for a while certifying things and making definition.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 16, 2006, 19:41
Kalleh
I completely agree with you, Asa. I think the phrase "organic food" actually means nothing these days...except that whatever has that label will be more expensive.
July 17, 2006, 02:00
Richard English
I can think of very few "inorganic" foods myself. Salt is the only only that springs immediately to mind.

Richard English
July 17, 2006, 04:17
Caterwauller
I also like the liberally-used phrase "all natural". I am amazed all of the "natural" ingredients they need to include!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
July 17, 2006, 06:51
Richard English
Of course, all good English beers use nothing but "narural" ingredients and are proud to show them on their bottle labels (although they are not obliged to, even under the UK's stringent labelling regulations).

Richard English
July 17, 2006, 10:21
neveu
quote:
I also like the liberally-used phrase "all natural".

It can be deceptive: "natural raspberry flavor" can be made from maize.
July 20, 2006, 03:45
Caterwauller
Yup. A friend of mine was once dating a chemist who spent his days finding out what "natural" ingredients could be made to taste like other "natural" ingredients. He went on and on about using inner tree bark to produce some kind of fruit flavor or something. I can't remember the details because I was too busy trying to stay awake while trying to figure out what it was my friend saw in this guy.

~Dalai Lama
July 21, 2006, 08:13
Hic et ubique
quote:
dating a chemist who spent his days finding out what "natural" ingredients could be made to taste like other "natural" ingredients. ... using inner tree bark to produce some kind of fruit flavor or something. I was ... trying to figure out what it was my friend saw in this guy.
Proving once again that there's no accounting for tastes. Wink
July 21, 2006, 19:11
Caterwauller
quote:
Proving once again that there's no accounting for tastes.

Left a bad taste in my mouth, I'll tell ya.

~Dalai Lama