Wordcraft Community Home Page
email blast (blast email?)

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/8360096496

July 09, 2019, 11:14
bethree5
email blast (blast email?)
I first encountered the term “blast email” a week ago in my book club, now again today in a blog I’ve been reading daily for years. Google hits refer to it as a marketing tool—an identical email sent to many many addressees—and indicate that it’s falling out of favor [“too spammy”]. In both book club & blog, they referenced use by private citizens: the host sends a blast to the other book club members, a citizen sends a blast to her state and fed representatives. Is the term now “mainstream”? Have you heard it?
July 09, 2019, 14:45
Geoff
Never have heard it. I've only known it as "multiple recipients."
July 09, 2019, 19:25
BobHale
Not heard it but I'd have easily guessed the meaning.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 09, 2019, 19:58
Kalleh
I hear it all the time - we send out blast emails, often referred to as "e-blasts," to alert people about changes or updates. I thought it was in common usage, but I guess not.
July 19, 2019, 12:22
bethree5
Kalleh, I'll bet it's common in the work world. My husband knew it. I travel to various PreK's, & it's its own bubble. I've noticed staff tend to be less digitally oriented. Screen-time is frowned on at that age, so there are no laptops in classrooms [nor teacher's desks to set them on]. Also, no need for director to communicate with staff via smartphone; every room in a school has an in-house phone, plus there's a PA system.