Wordcraft Community Home Page
band row

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/8361031543

June 18, 2006, 08:42
dalehileman
band row
It's an exercise using a stretch band to simulate rowing a boat. I need to know how long the exercise, or the expression, has been around.

I use several techniques to determine whether a term is an oldie or a neologism. For instance, if I can't find a term in the usu online dictionaries, then I suspect it as recent

However, I'm not entirely satisfied with such crude methods. Of course I could do better at this if I had a vast library or could afford subscription online services. However, on a fixed income I'm pretty much stuck with the free strategies; while I hate to be bothering you guys every time I need a reading

Any suggestions appreciated--Thanks all
June 18, 2006, 11:13
wordcrafter
Dale's general "methodology" question is particularly timely for me, because one of my quote sources (Amazon search-inside-the-book) has recently changed in a way that makes it far less useful.

My usual sources areSometimes helpful, but each with its limitations, are Project Gutenberg (free), Proquest (many libraries have it), and GoogleBooks (free if you have a free gmail account).

Any other ideas you might provide, for Dale's purposes or mine, would be appreciated. Thanks!
June 23, 2006, 07:42
dalehileman
wc: Thank you most kindly for those search tips, which I've ensconced among my Faves

I am interested in any such search facilities that come free
June 24, 2006, 09:13
dalehileman
Incidentally, "band row" turns out to me one of many different kinds of "rows" using a resistance band. In all probability, therefore, the expr "band row" has been around for a very long time

I was disappointed as I had expected it to mean a fight between the members of a rock band

word: the Amazon search-inside-the-book is intriguing. To do a search of this kind, do you need to know the title of the book

Thanks again
July 10, 2006, 08:38
dalehileman
Forgive me for bubbling this one back up, but in the meantime I wondder if anyone else has heard the usage; whether you consider it a neologism or merely the concatenation of two common exercise terms
July 10, 2006, 08:42
arnie
Never heard of it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 10, 2006, 10:44
BobHale
ditto

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.