Wordcraft Community Home Page
a j'accuse?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/852106001

March 19, 2009, 19:08
shufitz
a j'accuse?
Have you ever heard of a j'accuse, meaning an angry, accusatory speech or interrogation? (As a word, lower-cased, not as a reference to the Zola work?) I saw it in the Wall Street Journal yesterday. It was new to me, but on checking in today's Australian. The two concern the same event, so perhaps they were each copying from the same account of the event. Here are the two accounts (WSJ first).
March 19, 2009, 19:27
<Proofreader>
From MW: "Any strong accusation or denunciation: usually printed in italic type."
March 19, 2009, 19:58
shufitz
That's not MW (Merriam Webster); it's Webster's New World, which is a different publisher.

In fact, it's actually from LoveToKnow Corp., which implies it takes its definitions from W.New World. The LoveToKnow site makes me skeptical, although perhaps I'm overreacting to its heavy and flashy ad-content. It just doesn't give me the impression of being heavily into scholarship. Am I being a snob? Red Face
March 20, 2009, 05:46
zmježd
Well, within context, I don't have a problem with it. Zola's original letter in re l'Affaire Dreyfus is pretty widely known. Other foreign verb forms that have been nominalized: video 'I see', ignoramus 'we do not know', nolo contendere 'I will not contest'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 20, 2009, 06:35
<Proofreader>
quote:
MW (Merriam Webster); it's Webster's New World

I've been using this software for several years and never realized it isn't MW. Amazing detective work, Shu.
March 20, 2009, 06:37
<Asa Lovejoy>
Its meaning is instantly recognizable, so I like it.
March 20, 2009, 13:05
arnie
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Its meaning is instantly recognizable, so I like it.

It is to you and me. But I wonder how many others would get the allusion? We probably learnt about Zola's famous article in history class. I understand that the teaching of history is much less broadly-based nowadays, so younger folk may well not have heard about it, or indeed, the Dreyfus case.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 20, 2009, 19:03
<Asa Lovejoy>
So what DO the people who are now standing in the wings, waiting to run the world know?
March 21, 2009, 06:11
zmježd
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 21, 2009, 10:41
wordmatic
Ah, but anybody who's taken French knows that it literally translates "I accuse," so it's understandable anyway.

WM