Wordcraft Community Home Page
"to progress"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9011078764

June 04, 2007, 17:08
shufitz
"to progress"
I'm used to progress as a noun and as an intransitive verb ("make progress"; "to prrogress to the next level"). But ichael Jordon used it as a transitive verb, with a direct object:This usage was new to me. You?

And would you pronounce it pro'-gress or pro-gress'?
June 04, 2007, 20:53
<Asa Lovejoy>
It doesn't sound too weird if you put the emphasis on the second syllable - unless you're a Lakers fan. (They're from Minnesota, right?)

Asa, who plans to digress, or congress, or something
June 04, 2007, 21:04
Kalleh
I read the same article and just assumed that Jordan is better at basketball than at speaking.
June 05, 2007, 03:15
arnie
I've seen it before. More management-speak I'm afraid. No doubt Michael Jordan has become infected by his financial advisors and publicity wonks.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 05, 2007, 05:16
wordmatic
It's right up there with "to grow one's business" instead of "to build or expand one's business."

They both grate on my nerves, but "to grow the business" seems to be here to stay. It's been around for awhile. This is the first time I've heard "to progress" used in that manner.

Next he'll be successing his Chicago Basketball Franchise.

Wordmatic
June 05, 2007, 09:41
Caterwauller
quote:
More management-speak I'm afraid.

OH yes, this is another usage that I've heard. Sigh. I guess libraries really ARE big business. My CEO will be so proud to know it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama