Wordcraft Community Home Page
Does this deserve a "sic?"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9420098446

February 29, 2012, 20:31
Kalleh
Does this deserve a "sic?"
In a Tribune article today, they used that dreaded word (for writers): sic. Do you think it's fair?

"The Catholic hierarchy are (sic) only part of the Catholic Church, and on this issue they don't speak for the Catholic people."

I do not. Hierarchy, I think, can be used as a plural noun, can't it?
February 29, 2012, 22:10
BobHale
I agree

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 01, 2012, 00:29
Richard English
According to Longman, hierarchy can be countable or uncountable, depending on its use.

hier‧ar‧chy plural hierarchies

1 [uncountable and countable] a system of organization in which people or things are divided into levels of importance:

* A rigid social hierarchy
* She worked her way up through the corporate hierarchy to become president.

2 [countable] the most important and powerful members of an organization:
* the church hierarchy

So the Catholic hierarchy would seem to be a countable use and therefore the quote is correct and the [sic] is not.

Richard English
March 02, 2012, 06:30
Geoff
Doesn't it depend on whether we're using UK standard or US standard? In the UK it's normal; in the US it may seem odd.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
March 02, 2012, 10:33
<Proofreader>
I agree with Geoff (OMG!).
It's either UK or Canadian usage.
March 02, 2012, 20:04
Kalleh
But don't our 2 UK members think the [sic] is not correct? However, I wasn't sure what Bob was agreeing to so maybe not.
March 02, 2012, 20:54
BobHale
I was agreeing that the "sic" is not required.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 03, 2012, 00:48
Richard English
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But don't our 2 UK members think the [sic] is not correct? However, I wasn't sure what Bob was agreeing to so maybe not.
I believe that the passage is correct and therefore the [sic] is not required

Richard English
March 03, 2012, 21:47
Kalleh
Oh, now when I reread Geoff's post, I think he means that "hierarchy" in the plural may seem odd in the U.S (the "it" confused me). Is that true, Geoff? If so, it surely didn't seem odd to me or Shu. However, maybe it does to others?