Wordcraft Community Home Page
team?mates

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9591029153

July 06, 2006, 07:43
shufitz
team?mates
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Quote: <span class="ev_code_blue">He called Mr. Beckham and his <I>team mates</I> "nancy boys."</span></UL>What struck me about this is that I would have written <I>teammates</I>. The author of the quoted passage is British (Quentin Letts), and I'm from the US. <BR><BR>Is this another transpondial difference? Which way do <I>you</I> spell it?I write "team mates" and I'm a Brit.I write "teammates" and I'm a USn.I write "teammates" and I'm a Brit.I write "team mates" and I'm a USn.
July 06, 2006, 08:49
arnie
There is also the option "team-mates". Wink

I've voted for "team mates", but I suspect I might use "team-mates". I think it's more a matter of individual style. This is similar to the usual progression as in "store front" > "store-front" > "storefront".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 06, 2006, 11:25
BobHale
As ever, what he said!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 06, 2006, 19:58
<Asa Lovejoy>
I write none of the above, as I've never been chosen for a team, but hyphenation makes sense to me. It's like "coworker" instead of "co-worker." In some parts of this country you'd get arrested for orking cows.

Asa the clumsy
July 07, 2006, 05:53
arnie
Having introduced the hyphen into this discussion I'll proceed to take the thread further off-topic.

My newspaper contained the word "pre-occupied", which I can only assume is an error. To me, it would mean "occupied before", not "lost in thought". I see, however, that "occupied before" is a secondary meaning of "preoccupied". I would use "pre-occupied" in a sentence like When we moved into our new home we discovered it had been pre-occupied by a family of rats.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 07, 2006, 06:46
<Asa Lovejoy>
I think of "pre-occupied" when I head for the toilets on airliners, which always have people in them. Or is that pee-occupied?
July 07, 2006, 06:57
arnie
Another instance is re-mark, which we use at work quite often when a school queries the exam results of pupils and asks for their papers to be marked again. I have seen it spelt remark, which is not only incorrect, in my view, but also potentially confusing.

July 07, 2006, 07:11
arnie
I suspect I need some help in searching Google. A search for "teammate" gave around 13,900,000 Ghits; one for "team-mate" about 2,790,000; whereas "team mate" reported 2,810,000. However, a cursory look through the results for team mate gave several hits for team-mate. Is there any way of filtering out the hyphen? Since the "-" character is used as a search command itself, you can't very well exclude it!

July 07, 2006, 08:43
shufitz
I suspect that Google treats team mates and team-mates as identical (the difference in ghits being due to approximation). You see that if you add other terms to reduce the sheer number of ghits. A search for "team-mate" androgynous yields identical numbers of ghits with and without the hyphen.
July 07, 2006, 09:30
zmježd
Google seems to strip out punctuation from searches.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 07, 2006, 10:38
arnie
Yeah, that's what I thought. Frown

July 07, 2006, 10:52
zmježd
I tried to escape the punctuation by using a back-slash (\), but that didn't seem to work.

For example google "Mr\. Smith".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 07, 2006, 16:16
shufitz
I googled up google punctuation and found that Google recognizes non-letter characters in some special combinations (C++; $10), and it will recognize the apostrophe, but that's it. There is no general way to force Google to recognize non-letter characters.

Hyphens are a special case. A search with a hyphen, such as team-work, will return matches for team-work, team work and teamwork.
July 07, 2006, 19:03
Kalleh
I am much more intrigued by "nancy boys." What on earth are they?
July 07, 2006, 19:04
<Asa Lovejoy>
Oh, silly me! I thought Hyphen was an Israeli seaport full of seven-headed sea monsters. Or do I have it confused with Haiphong? Confused
July 07, 2006, 19:41
shufitz
No, you have Haiphong confused with diphthong.
July 07, 2006, 21:30
<Asa Lovejoy>
Oh, Shu, a dipthong is the little piece of ribbon girls wear when they go swimming. Oy, don't you know ANYthing!?!?
July 08, 2006, 00:21
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am much more intrigued by "nancy boys." What on earth are they?

It's a slightly dated insult calling someone effeminate or homosexual. You still see or hear it occasionally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 08, 2006, 09:00
Seanahan
I'm a bit younger, so I'll say is very dated. It sounds to me like it would be used in the 50s. I have heard it a bunch of times, but I can't put my finger on any of the contexts.
July 08, 2006, 20:13
Kalleh
First of all, I can't believe you've heard it. I haven't, and I am "a bit" older than you are. Wink Though I do suspect that men talk about this subject more than women do.
July 09, 2006, 05:45
zmježd
Well, I've heard nancy boy used by both straight and gay men in speech, but as an archaism. I've heard it movies and read it in literature. I don't think it's rare, just a bit old fashioned.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.