Wordcraft Community Home Page
antsy, ancy

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/9611057492

January 31, 2006, 05:41
saranita
antsy, ancy
This morning I clicked on a link which took me to a film commentary blog about the Oscar nominations. In it, Kristopher Tapley writes:
quote:
My major categories are firm, but some of my tech predictions have me ancy.

Correctly, it's "antsy," of course, but I'm always mildly shocked to see mistakes such as this, obviously not just a typo, within the work of what could be considered a pretty fair writer. Perhaps some of you recall similar errors in articles or letters you have read?
January 31, 2006, 12:29
shufitz
Since the year is just starting, it might be interesting to make this thread a prospective one, where we note down goofs as we spot them. At the end of the year we could award booby prizes for the worst blunders.
January 31, 2006, 12:40
Froeschlein
quote:
My major categories are firm, but some of my tech predictions have me ancy.

Correctly, it's "antsy," of course, but I'm always mildly shocked to see mistakes such as this, obviously not just a typo, within the work of what could be considered a pretty fair writer. Perhaps some of you recall similar errors in articles or letters you have read?[/QUOTE]

Here's the latest fall-off-my-twig mispelinng: ukalayleigh <!!!>
January 31, 2006, 13:11
saranita
Shu, a fine idea. Smile

David, I await "Ukalayleigh" someday becoming "Most Popular Girl Baby Name" of the year. Eek
January 31, 2006, 20:36
Kalleh
Yes, we could have a thread on egg corns. Good idea, Shu!

Interesting, did you know that ancy can mean someone who is beloved?
February 01, 2006, 19:03
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:

Here's the latest fall-off-my-twig mispelinng: ukalayleigh <!!!>

I thought that was an Irish cudgel with strings on it.
February 03, 2006, 15:20
Froeschlein
quote:

I thought that was an Irish cudgel with strings on it.

Good'un, A.L.! Thanks for the pleasant chuckle.

But the Irish cudgel is a shillelagh, even tho it rimes with my transmogrified ukulele orthography.

David