Wordcraft Community Home Page
A word for it?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/984109434

April 26, 2004, 21:43
Kalleh
A word for it?
I had a lovely meeting today with a woman who had been my roommate when we were in college. We had a lot to talk about! As women will, we talked about men and relationships.

Now, a question came up, and I think there may be no answer. Someone can be homosexual or heterosexual, but what if someone does not have a sexual orientation at all? Is he "asexual?" Or is there another word for it?

BTW, I have invited her to join this forum.
April 27, 2004, 02:10
arnie
"Asexual" is the word I'd use.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 27, 2004, 07:05
jheem
Asexual, for me, has stronger connotations of having no sexual organs or not using sex to reproduce, though it can also mean not having sexual relations. I would use nonsexual. Although celibate might be appropriate. (Originally, it just meant unmarried, < cælebs 'unmarried'. Searching the A-H online, revealed an interesting quirk: the editors have used the word nonsexual in one of their definitions, for fetish, but it does not have an entry itself.
April 27, 2004, 07:48
Kalleh
I suppose "celibate" might do it. However, I always think of Catholic priests being celibate, and many of them are not "nonsexual!" Wink I suppose "nonsexual" is better than "asexual." It just seems that there should be a word for people who really are not sexual beings, even though they are personable and develop relationships easily. I know of several; nursing seems to attract them.

Now, my friend talked about a new concept, which she said is common on the west coast (though I couldn't find it in Google), and that is "wandering queer." That is someone who doesn't know if he/she is homosexual or heterosexual. I know, I hate the phrase, too! I can't stand that word "queer," and it really is politically incorrect!