Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Some Sad News

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Some Sad News Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As you know, I've been worried about Jerry. He hasn't posted since April 3rd, and that's not like him. Jerry doesn't have a phone because he doesn't hear well, so I've been trying to find his good friend's (Daniel's) number. Daniel let us know in 2005 when Jerry went into congestive heart failure. I searched through old PMs and emails, but couldn't find anything. I then, out of desperation, called the Hilo Medical Center and asked for Jerry Thomas's room, of course not knowing if he was there or not. I knew he couldn't answer the phone, but I hoped a friend would answer. Instead a nurse answered and, because of HIPAA Laws, she could only tell me that he was "stable."

So tonight I searched through my old emails again, using different search terms, and finally found Daniel's number. Unfortunately the news is not good. Jerry has cancer, and while the surgery was successful, he is too weak for chemotherapy and they are not hopeful. They are planning to admit him into hospice care. My research was in hospice nursing, and I have found it one of health care's best kept secrets. Hospice patients get extraordinary collaborative care, and I know he will have an excellent quality of life in his last days.

Daniel says that right now Jerry is a bit confused and is hallucinating about traveling around the world. That does sound like our Jerry, doesn't it? Daniel specifically asked that I post this for Jerry's Wordcraft friends, and he asks that we pray, or hold good thoughts, for Jerry. Daniel has promised to keep us updated.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to read this news, and I miss his always humorous posts. Is there an address to which we could send cards or notes? I guess if he is confused he might not understand the messages. At least please tell Daniel to give Jerry the message that his Wordcraft friends are thinking and/or praying positive, supportive thoughts for him. I'm glad Jerry is reliving his travels. Thanks for tracking all of this down, Kalleh. It proves we are a real community of friends, and not just SWMOTI (strangers we met on the internet!)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OH dear, this is so sad. You knew, somehow, didn't you? Sigh. I feel terrible about it all, but I'm very glad your persistence worked and at least we know now. Sigh.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This is sad news. I've had many PM conversations with jerry including some exchanges of our writings. I consider his writing to be very fine indeed and am saddened that I haven't had the chance to meet him in real life. I know that the outlook isn't good and that even if he does recover he's not likely to participate much here again. I know it's not much of a comfort but at least he is reliving in his memories a full and fascinating life.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
That is sad news. Jerry and I were actually discussing, in a desultory manner, the possibility of my taking a side trip to see him the next time I'm in that part of the world. I doubt that will happen now.

Obviously if we do find any way of passing on our good wishes I would like mine to be included.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sad news, indeed. However, not so unexpected as it might have been if we were talking about another wordcrafter. It is good to know that he is being well looked after. I know we'll all really miss him.

Thank you, Kalleh, for your detective work.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
hmmmm all i could say for now is that GOD will grant him speedy recovery and daniel should please extend our mindful support to him.Kalleh that was a good job from you.keep it up.
James

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I am saddened to learn this, Kalleh. Please relay my good wishes to JT.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, I am sorry to hear about this. I haven't been around here as long or as much as others, so I haven't been able to get to know Jerry very well, but everyone here is a decent person and I hope that, whatever the outcome, he suffers as little as possible.

As arnie said, though, it's good to know that he's being well looked after and having a good quality of life.

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Some of the best times I've had on the internet have been when Jerry and I competed to write limericks and counter-lims while waiting for various limerick games to conclude. We also had several interesting discussions via PMs and he always had some humorous anecdote to enliven the discussion.

While the web may often be an impersonal place, I would hope Jerry considered me as a good friend. And as that friend, I hope those gloomy prognostications are proven wrong and that he makes a speedy recovery.

Thanks, too, to Kalleh for pursuing this investigation into his health.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Thanks for letting us know, Kalleh. I've missed Jerry's clever wit! Let him know, please.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. We exchanged pms briefly when he found out I was also from Kansas. Jerry's last post now seems prophetic.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Tinman, you are right! That is just amazing. I am sure that was written before he was hospitalized.

I did email his friend to see where we can send cards. I must remember that not everyone is on the computer as much as I am so he might not answer right away.

posted Hide Post
This is sad to hear. Jerry's posts were always funny and interesting.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I searched all my PMs and emails again because I remembered that somewhere I had Jerry's address. While obviously he isn't home, I know that Daniel was feeding his cat, so I am sure he'll pick up his mail. If you wish to send a card, I am sure this address will be good:

Jerry Thomas
12-447 La'au Loke Street
Kehena
Pahoa, HI 96778-8001

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just got an email tonight from Daniel saying that there has been no change in Jerry. He still is not alert or responsive. That should turn around, though I imagine it is worse for Jerry because of his being hard of hearing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
People have asked me for a follow-up on Jerry, and really I haven't heard much more. I did email Daniel tonight and will let you know what he says. I presume Jerry is in hospice by now.

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let you all know that Jerry passed away peacefully on Friday, May 8th.

Here is the last bit of footage I shot of Jerry ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0mx-KntW4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ohzonator,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I said before, I never met Jerry, but I greatly wish I had. From my online friendship with him I too came to respect and admire him. I think it's clear how well-loved he ws on this board, as well as in his real life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We actually have 2 threads going on Jerry, now. The other is here.

Danny, I know how very much Jerry loved and respected you. He was just awed that you had come to see him when he was hospitalized a few years ago. He said this in his email:

"Honoring me beyond belief, Danny Young arrived an hour before my release from the hospital. He came halfway around the world to see about my condition. As he and Daniel and Randy pushed my wheelchair out the Hospital's front door, the alarm went off with a loud shrill shriek that summoned people to prevent my escape."

By the way, Danny, what does the Chinese say?

Asa asked me last night what we are going to do for Jerry, and so far my only thought was to dedicate our chat to him. But Jerry was an icon here, and we need to do more. Now that ohzonator (Daniel?) posted that youtube video of Jerry, I am wondering if we could put a tribute to Jerry on the Community page (where Morgan's tribute is), along with a copy of a quote from The Raven (or something). Arnie, would you be able to imbed a youtube link for us? I think it needs something like vimeo or something to do that. What does everyone think?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

I should be able to embed the YouTube video on the front page, provided Infopop has no strange restrictions that I don't know about. YouTube provide the HTML code. We need to be careful, though, that the dedication to Jerry doesn't overshadow that to Morgan.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know, arnie. I looked at that Community Home page and I thought it would fit nicely beside the News section. I am willing to hear other alternatives, though.

posted Hide Post
Should we consolidate the two threads about Jerry to just one? This one is more active ...

http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/ev...=661108171#661108171

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it would fit nicely beside the News section.

That's not possible, I'm afraid, unless we went in for full-scale modification of that page, something I'm not experienced enough to do. That area is assigned to the various modules like the "Recent forum topics", "Newest members", etc.

The only places it could go would be below (or possibly above) the tribute to Morgan and before the "Latest News", or (at a stretch) in the news module itself.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...I should have guessed. Thank you!

quote:
That's not possible, I'm afraid, unless we went in for full-scale modification of that page, something I'm not experienced enough to do. That area is assigned to the various modules like the "Recent forum topics", "Newest members", etc.
So, even though that area under the "newest members" is empty, you're saying it is taken up with "possible" content and not useable? Oh heck.

I don't quite know where to put it then. If you're not experienced enough to redesign it, I am sure no one here is. So on to plan B and C. We could put something on the Wordcraft Web site, and yet it really doesn't seem to belong there. Secondly, I suppose in the Community Forum we could start a sticky thread with tributes to Jerry, including that fabulous video clip. We could move some of these tributes to that thread.

Otherwise, I am at a loss and am open to suggestions.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose in the Community Forum we could start a sticky thread with tributes to Jerry,

We wouldn't be able to embed the clip; we could only link to it, as HTML isn't allowed in forum posts.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but it seems like the best alternative so far, doesn't it?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've locked this thread as there's another thread running about Jerry here.