Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    New Chat Times!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chat Times! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Bob, Shu, Zmj and I chatted today at 10:00 Central time, which is 16:00 BST and 15:00 GMT. For Bob I think it was 11:00 pm his time. Bob was finally able to use our WC chat!

So, here is what I am proposing, though I am certainly open to other suggestions:

We chat one week on Saturday on WC's chat system; the next week we chat on Sunday on Gmail. Every week the time will be 10:00 am Central time, and you can take it from there as to what time it is where you are. Do you think that will work? I hope so because I've missed the chats.

I normally won't be able to do Saturdays because that's when my exercise class is. However, I broke my toe yesterday and can't go to my class for at least 3 weeks, so I am free to chat on Saturdays for awhile.

Unless we decide to make a change...see you next Sunday (not tomorrow) at 10 am, Central time, on Gmail!

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Suits me. I can sleep in on Sunday.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This week the chat will be at 10 am, Central time, on Sunday, using Gmail. See you then!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck. Even I forgot! I am just not used to Sundays for the chat. Did anyone chat?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I didn't. Mainly because this weekend was a bit odd due to school rescheduling. I'll post a bit about that in my next "Letter from China"

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I turned up a little late (20 minutes or so) and there was no-one chatting that I could see.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, well. Maybe Sunday won't work. Who wanted Sundays?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What time is the chat this week?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
logged in at what I thought was the time, stayed half an hour then logged out.

Did I get it wrong or did nobody chat this week?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, you were right. I was in Washington, DC for work yesterday and didn't have time to do any posting and got home too late to chat. So sorry! Ever since this new chat situation, I've rather messed things up, haven't I?

Okay...next week I will be in Wisconsin, but I should be able to chat. Let's make it 10:00 am, Saturday, Central time, on gmail. I'll let CW and WM know since they sometimes join us but don't post all that much.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
See you on gmail tomorrow at 10 am, Central time? I hope so because I've missed chatting!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
By "tomorrow" you mean Saturday I assume? Bear in mind that the USA is several hours behind the rest of the world, and it was already Saturday here when you made that post. Big Grin

BTW why are we still bothering with gmail? I thought Bob can use our chat room now?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Bob can use the chat room now. He has to disable his firewalls to do it but it's worth it.

I think we should chat here with one of us keeping a gmail chat window also open so that anyone who drops in can be redirected.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And by "one of us" I mean "one of you" because my connection is pretty slow.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In fact it will need to be here for me.
From China all google programs are insanely slow. I have to load gmail in basic html view which doesn't support the chatroom feature. I can't get it to load in the standard view because it always times out before the page has loaded.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I just googled the phrase "gmail slow in china" and got plenty of hits complaining about the problem. It seems that the Chinese Government's ongoing series of arguments with Google are showing no sign of being resolved and the general consensus is that they are deliberately slugging access to all Google sites and given just how big Google is on the internet now it is causing quite a lot of problems.

Just out of curiosity I've left the standard view page loading and so far it's been loading for more than thirty minutes.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well, I've waited here for over an hour now, it's midnight and I'm going to bed. If you've been having a merry chat on gmail... see my comments above. If nobody's been chatting at all... well, I guess that's life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, heck. we were on gmail. I didn't look here, Bob. So sorry.

FROM NOW ON CHATS WILL BE ON WORDCRAFT!

How's that? Also, unless I have a huge objection, let's have the chats on Saturday, and not Sunday. Let's make them every week at 10 am, Central time, which is 4 pm, BST, I believe, right? When does England go off summer time? For that matter, when does the US go off daylight saving's time?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Our clocks change next Sunday whereas yours alter the Sunday after. That means that there will be confusion for one week until we're both on Standard Time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...the US will move with the UKers. Listen up, Americans! We'll chat at 9 am, Central time, on Saturday, which will be 15:00 GMT and British time, correct, arnie? We'll use Wordcraft's chat. Bob, I have no idea what time that is for you, but we hope you'll be able to join us.

Feel free to come into the chat disguised as it's Halloween weekend!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Once I figure out the time, I'll be there.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
To emphasise, both the USA and the UK will still be on Daylight Savings Time next Saturday. Having looked up the conversion on this site it looks like you are proposing to hold the chat an hour earlier - is that right. The last couple of chats have been at 16.00 UK time (BST - or 15.00 GMT). I don't think there's any need to change the time of the chat for at least a week. Confused

I seem to remember you going here before (generally twice a year). Big Grin

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I find this site (link) helps me to figure out when the chat is going to be. I ignore everything but Chicago time and adjust accordingly. I mean it's just as arbitrary to draw a line through Greenwich, UK, as it is through Chicago, USA. And the Word Carft forums are located there, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My mistake, arnie. You aren't changing until Saturday night.

Anywho...Let's leave it at the usual 10 am, Central time, for this Saturday, which is the usual 16:00 BST and 15:00 GMT. The chat will be here on Wordcraft.

I can confuse people, can't I? Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
See y'all (I'm in Memphis now) on the 29th at the times above? In or out of costume?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We had a nice chat today with arnie, Bob, Occupy Wall Street, and me. We're not sure if Occupy Wall Street is a new member, or if that was someone from Wordcraft in disguise.

Z, was that you? Anyone? Maybe we'll hear from OWS, which is what we called him.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
what we called him

Her.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Z, was that [OWS] you?

Nope, I missed the chat because I fell asleep in the mid morning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, you're learning from arnie, z. Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Ok - so let me get this straight: we are now meeting to chat at 10 am Chicago time, Saturday mornings, in the WC chatroom. Yes?

Good lord, I get confused enough as it is! All this time zone stuff is giving me a headache.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure... our clocks in the UK went back on Sunday so if the US time remains the same it'll be an hour earlier for us in England. I think Kalleh was suggesting moving the time for one week, but no doubt she'll reply.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OK so here is the deal. I'd love to join the chat again but this all really confuses me. Also, my life is really chaotic now. However, I am free this Saturday in the morning (so far). So Kalleh - could you please email me and just do the math for me and tell me what time to log onto wordcraft to join the chat?

I know it's crazy because I can figure out other really complicated things like the Dewey Decimal system and how to make an apple pie and how to design a fat suit without any pattern, but I just can't figure out what you guys are saying on this thread. I need to be spoon fed.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, normally the chats will be 10 am, Central time (11 am Eastern time) on Saturdays, here on Wordcraft. This all changed, CW, because of the chats slowing down, so we tried to move to what will accommodate most people. Bob can no longer use Gmail reliably, and most of us like the WC chat better anyway...thus the move away from Gmail.

However, for this Saturday, since the UK has gone back to standard time and we won't do so until the evening, we'll follow England's time. That means, we'll "fall back" to 9 am Central time and 10 am Eastern time this Saturday only (November 5th). That will be 15:00 GMT and British time.

Is that as clear as mud?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Please see above for the chat times tomorrow (November 5th). I will be at a conference and won't make it. I hope you have a good time chatting!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Checked in, waited, checked out.
But I did watch a couple of episodes of How I Met Your Mother while I was waiting (an OK comedy if not deserving of it's accolades)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am sorry. We've got to get these more on track, don't we? Next week at least the times will be more stable, though we have changed the times and the venue.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This seems to be a good place to post this, since we always talk about time zones here. Each Sunday they have a great section in the Chicago Tribune about historical events. Today, since we moved our clocks back last night, they talked about the early horrors of daylight savings time. Apparently some cities changed, while others didn't, creating havoc...particularly for the railways:
quote:
A story in April 1923 detailed which of the suburban railways were adopting daylight saving time, which were staying on standard time but running trains an hour earlier and which were doing both.

The confusion only grew over the years as daylight saving time was adopted by more cities and states. The problem was not only between "fast time" areas and "slow time" areas, but also in the varied start and stop dates. A Sept. 28, 1958, story explained how Wisconsin and California reverted that day to standard time, as did about 300 of the 800 Illinois communities that enjoyed "sun time." But the Chicago metro area had another month to go, more in line with New York and the rest of the East Coast. Minnesota, on the other hand, had switched Sept. 2. And Indiana? Flashback doesn't have the space — or time — to untangle that mess.
And we think we have trouble here on Wordcraft!

Plus, there is a word post from this article:
quote:
In fact, for decades, the fight over "fast time," "summer time," "Wilson time," "war time," "Bolshevik time" or "standard time," "slow time," "God's time" — the varied names for it depended on how you viewed the issue — roiled Congress, the state legislatures and city councils. The result was a confounding patchwork of conflicting times.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Anyone planning to chat this week?
If so, what time?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am in Wisconsin and won't make it. However, let's keep it at 10 CST, which is 16:00 GMT, and it'll be on Wordcraft's chat.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That will put it at midnight here in China. Still, I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I'll try to check in. But I won't be waiting around for an hour if no one is there, I'll give it fifteen minutes.
If anyone shows after that please accept my apologies but I'll be in bed.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Been.
Gone.

Will probably leave it from now on as nobody ever seems to be here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah well. I am in St. Louis and can't do tomorrow's chat. However, it'll be on Wordcraft at 10 am, Central time, which is 16:00, GMT. I hope a few of you will keep the chat warm for me; I'll be there next week!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Last week at this time, I didn't know that Shu's uncle would have died...the same uncle we were visiting last week in St. Louis! Since Jewish funerals always occur close to the death, we are here now at the funeral and will be driving home tomorrow. So, once again, I will miss the chat. I am sad about that!

Indeed, I have been so busy with work recently that I haven't been home much on the weekends. But now my schedule is evening out, and I realized why we had wanted every other Sunday. I can't do Saturday mornings because of my aerobics classes, which I have been missing for awhile now. My class is from 9:15 (when I have to leave) to 11:00 (when I get home) on Saturdays. Could we possibly make the chats an hour later on Saturdays, to 11:00 Central time? I could drive home and get on the chat first thing...starting next week. Would that work?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Having not heard from anyone on my proposal...let's try it tomorrow.

The chat tomorrow will be at 11:00 am, Central Standard Time, which is 17:00, GMT and 9:00 am, Pacific Standard Time. The chat will be on Wordcraft. We'll try out this new time. I may be a few minutes late, but not too bad.

See you tomorrow!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll try to be there.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Actually scratch that, I miscalculated. It will be one O'clock a.m. here and I'm planning a day out tomorrow that needs an early start. So, apologies, but I won't be there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, 1:00 am? I am sorry. I am in the chat now with no takers.

I hate to scratch the chats, but we just don't seem to come up with times that please everyone. If we do Saturdays at 10 CST, I can't make it; later than that is too late for Bob. I can do Sundays but, if I recall correctly, a number of you couldn't. But let me ask the question: Bob, z, arnie, do Sundays work for you? We are the four who seem to attend the chats most often.

I'll stay on the chat another 5 minutes, but then I will leave.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Depends on the time. Any time early enough for me will most likely be too early for you. I was trying for a couple of weeks when it was Midnight Saturday for me but no one else ever showed up.
Midnight Sunday is possible but I don't really like to be on that late as I teach on Monday morning. Eleven on Sunday (my time) which I think would be 9 on Sunday for you would probably be OK.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure what to do. Maybe we should go back to every two weeks? I suppose I could do 8:00 on Saturday mornings...before my aerobics class. Of course that would be 6:00 am Pacific time and a bit early for z. It would be 2:00 pm in England and 10 pm in China, I think, Bob. You are 14 hours ahead of us in Chicago, right?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The only real problem for me with any new times is that 2pm is too early for me Saturdays as I'm usually out shopping. 4pm or later should normally be OK, as should Sunday afternoons. However, I might well have difficulty getting used to new times and forget, either completely or only remember when everyone has finished. I would also think that having the chats every two weeks would make it doubly hard to remember.