Notify
Tools

OEDILF Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
You may have received this email from CJ on OEDILf. In case not, here it is:

Dear Kalleh,

...to come to the aid of OEDILFia.

NOTE: This mass mailing is going out *only* to WEs, active and otherwise.

I'll keep this short: the OEDILF has been written up by the Associated Press (AP) in an article that should be released within a week or so.

I had tried to pitch the idea of tying the article to our upcoming 100,000th Approved limerick but this was a no go, quite probably because there will be no way of having any control over the timing of the publication of our story. Seeing as how no one would ever consider us "hard news," any media subscribing to the AP (newspapers, magazines, etc.) will be able to put us into print at any time that is beneficial to them.

It *will* be out there, however, and soon, both within the U.S. and elsewhere worldwide.

The reason I am writing today is both to prepare active WEs for what might be an avalanche of newcomers to our project AND to let inactive WEs know that their workshopping skills, so highly valued in the past, may be dearly needed in the very near future.

Oldtimers will remember the last time The OEDILF received some major coverage when National Public Radio broadcast an interview with yours truly at 7:00 a.m. on Christmas morning 2004, a time when you might not think there would be a huge audience. The new limerick statistics tell a different story:

Nov 2004 -- 1,222
Dec 2004 -- 1,436
Jan 2005 -- 2,177

In fact, we took in more new limericks during January of 2005 than we have in any other month to date. Could January of 2017 top it? There's no way of knowing. In all honesty, this whole thing could fizzle out big time, though I'm betting along opposite lines.

Assuming that we will experience some sort of increased participation (that has to be a given, no?), it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Now, I fully realize that priorities being what they are (especially during the holiday season), families will always come first. If, however, you have been inactive either for a few months or a whole lotta years, and you've ever thought about getting back into an anapestical groove, NOW could be the perfect time. In fact, I'd even recommend beating the rush and signing back on to the site before the article appears anywhere so as to brush up on your workshopping.

That's it. That's my pitch. The next email you get from me will be the one that goes out to everyone announcing the first publication of our article.

OH BOY!!

Sincerely,

Chris J. Strolin
Editor-in-Chief, The OEDILF

Posts: 23383 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does "WE" mean?

Posts: 4515 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and here's the article, in one of many newspapers around the country.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and "WE" was some kind of Editor, IIRC

Posts: 5619 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Workshop Editor

Posts: 7896 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

Posts: 4515 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post