Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Names and what they mean
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Names and what they mean Login/Join

posted
I started wonder how everyone got ther nickname for the board and what does it mean.

Like for instance my nickname is blues. If I remeber correctly, someone once told me I have beautiful baby blue eyes and the nickname has always stuck with me. So I thought blues would be a good name.

So how did you get your nickname and what does it mean??? You first Kalleh!!

Posts: 64 | Location: Martinsburg, W.V.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Thanks for asking, Blues. I do believe way in the beginning I explained it, but I have no idea where now.
"Kalleh" means "bride" in Yiddish...and I like the sound of it. Besides, being a "bride" makes me feel sooooo young, and with 3 college-aged kids, I need to feel young! Wink

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
My real name is Alan Palmer. When I was in the Sixth Form (High School Senior) Arnold Palmer, the golfer, was at the height of his powers, and so I became known to my classmates as "Arnie".

I've used the nick for several years online, but no-one who wasn't at school with me calls me Arnie nowadays.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Nickname ?

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
My nickname is CJ because when I attempt to have people address me as "Blue-Eyed Devil" or "You Studmuffin, You" they tend to roll their eyes and/or snicker and I'm tempted to slap somebody!

(And, yes, the anger management classes are working wonders, thank you so much for asking.)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my first name is Beth and I am a lady. That was a no-brainer!

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have never had a serious nickname.

At school I was occasionally called "Arfur" (After my Uncle, Arthur English, who was at that time a well-known comedian).

Just one person (at a motorcycle club I belonged to) called me "Dick" (a common nickname for Richard over here).

To most people I have always been Richard and that's the name I use in all my posting to all boards.

As I have said elsewhere, I feel no need to try to preserve my incognito.

"English" is, as I may have said, my real family name.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Nickname ?

http://www.robertjhale.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Actually although I post here only under my own name, the name I use over at snopes varies from month to month. This isn't an attempt to cover my tracks. It's just the way things are done over there. The board has a "theme" which changes from time to time and everybody alters their on screen name accordingly.

Originally I was posting as An Englishman On Holiday. This was because
a) I'm English
b) My passion (apart from language) is World Travel
c) I was out of work when I started posting
d) I'm a fan of the rock band Thunder and An Englishman on Holiday was for a long time one of their anthems in live performance.

Since then, according to the theme I've been

An Englishman in Acapulco (Elvis Theme)
An Englishsnowman (Christmas Theme)
An Englishman from Fredonia (Duck Theme - CJ, over to you to identify the reference.)

and I'm currently

An Englishrat of Sumatra (Rodent theme, reference anybody?)

There have been others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was in the Sixth Form (High School Senior)
I know I am taking this thread off its path a bit, and I apologise, but I must ask why "6th form"?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
The board has a "theme" which changes from time to time and everybody alters their on screen name accordingly.
Not quite everybody. I changed my name to Arnie Parma Ham when there was a "cheese" theme, but have been bereft of inspiration since then, and have left it as plain "arnie".

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
why "6th form"?
"Form" is a synonym for "year-group". It come from the early schools which were all taught together in the same classroom. Pupils of roughly the same level sat together on long forms, or benches. They would start out at the front sitting on the first form and progress to the sixth form at the back.

Schools used to use a bewildering variety of names for the various forms. At my old school we would enter into the Third form, then move on to the Shell. After that we went to the Fourth form, then the Remove. After the Remove came the Fifth form, then the Sixth. The school used to take pupils from age 9, but by my time the age had been raised to 11, hence the lack of a First or Second form.

Other schools had a similar, but probably slightly different, system. Nowadays standardisation has become the norm, and schools will refer to "Year 7", "Year 8", "Year 9", and so on. However, those aged over 16 are still likely to be referred to as the Sixth form, instead of "Year 13" or whatever.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Quote: "An Englishman from Fredonia (Duck Theme - CJ, over to you to identify the reference.)"

A Marxist reference?

The book I've been reading, Made in America by Bill Bryson, taught me something that ties into this.

quote:
Considerable thought was given in early Congresses to the possibility of renaming the country. From the start, many people recognized that United States of America was unsatisfactory. For one thing, it allowed of no convenient adjectival form. A citizen would have to be either a United Statesian or some other such clumsy locution, or an American, thereby arrogating to ourselves a title that belonged equally to the inhabitants of some three dozen other nations on two continents. Several alternatives to America were actively considered – Columbia, Appalachia, Alleghania, Freedonia or Fredonia (whose denizens would be called Freeds or Fredes) – but none mustered sufficient support to displace the existing name.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:

A Marxist reference?

Indeed.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fredonia (Duck Theme - CJ, over to you to identify the reference.)"

A Marxist reference?

You betcha!

"Hail, Hail Fredonia,
"Land of the Fre-e-e-e-e
"A-a-a-a-nd
"Bra-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ave!!"

Next to "Oh, Canada!" and "Let's All Chant", my favorite national anthem.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I picked Asa Lovejoy because I'm a loser. Mr. Lovejoy engaged in a coin toss with one Francis Pettygrove for the rights to name the city in which I reside, Portland, Oregon, USA. Lovejoy lost. Had he won, I'd be living in Boston! Wink My real name is Geoffrey Sanders.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last name is Tinsley. I have been called Tinman (among other things) by various people. I picked it for this board because that's what wfc used to call me on the FOTA board, where I post as Richard Tinsley.

Tinman (AKA Richard Tinsley)

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well it's clear that the Englishman In Fredonia reference was easily identified but no-one's yet identified my current snopes sobriquet - "An Englishrat of Sumatra".
Well ?
Extra kudos for an exact reference.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
A reference to "An Appointment in Sumatra," maybe? But why a rat, I don't have a clue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
...(After my Uncle, Arthur English, who was at that time a well-known comedian).

Arthur English? Mr. Harmon of "Are You Being Served?" I think the show had a different name in the UK.

Tinman

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
A reference to "An Appointment in Sumatra," maybe? But why a rat, I don't have a clue.

Nope. And the rat is relevant.I'd give a clue but I don't want to make the question too elementary.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arthur English? Mr. Harmon of "Are You Being Served?" I think the show had a different name in the UK.

Good grief. They actually sold that show to America? On behalf of Britons everywhere, my apologies for inflicting it on you. It had the same name over here, and Arthur English (RE's uncle) was indeed in it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
no-one's yet identified my current snopes sobriquet - "An Englishrat of Sumatra".
Is it a reference to one of Sherlock Holmes' "lost cases"? Watson mentions it in passing in another story. There is a pastiche available called The Giant Rat of Sumatra; from The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Daniel Gracely -- see Amazon.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
no-one's yet identified my current snopes sobriquet - "An Englishrat of Sumatra".
Is it a reference to one of Sherlock Holmes' "lost cases"? Watson mentions it in passing in another story. There is a pastiche available called _The Giant Rat of Sumatra; from The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes_ by Daniel Gracely --

It is indeed.
It's a reference to what Holmes describes as

"Matilda Briggs was not the name of a young woman, Watson, it was a ship which is associated with the giant rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet prepared."
The passage is at the start of The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire.

The pastiche you mention is one of an enormous number. I have neither the time nor the money to become a serious collector of Holmes pastiches but even as a part time collector I have around seventy volumes of them (and as some are thick volumes of short stories if we actually split that down it works out at about two hundred and fifty stories).

I have a bibliography which is fifteen years out of date which lists 177 pastcihes and parodies which I don't have. There have been numerous additions since then.

There have been Holmes stories by Spike Milligan, John Lennon, Stephen King, JM Barrie and Basil Rathbone.

There's the notorious My Dearest Holmes in which Holmes and Watson are gay.
There are spin off series featuring Lestrade, Watson, Irene Adler, Mycroft Holmes and even Mrs Hudson.
Holmes has met Dracula, Freud, Oscar Wilde, Frankenstein, Jack The Ripper and Annie Oakley. (Some of them more than once in mutually incompatible stories).
He's solved mysteries in Wonderland, Oz and on the moon.
There are accounts of his early life and the missing years.

There's even (and you'll understand just why I had to get this one) Sherlock Holmes and the Alice In Wonderland Murders.
(Unfortunately the title is better than the book.)

In short there are a lot of pastiches. Probably thousands rather than hundreds.

The Giant Rat of Sumatra is one of the better ones surpassing the standard of many of the later Conan Doyle stories.

One final note, if anyone has or knows where I can get any of the August Derleth "Solor Pons" books I might be persuaded to make an offer.

Edited to add

Actually the "The Giant Rat of Sumatra" that I was referring to was by Richard L. Boyer, not Daniel Gracely so that means there's yet another to put on my list.

[This message was edited by BobHale on Thu Jan 23rd, 2003 at 8:46.]

posted Hide Post
The same.

This was his last major role, although he did have a few bit parts afterwards. In fact, although are you being served is the most well known series, he also played in "The Ghosts of Motley Hall" and "Follyfoot"

However, during the time I speak of (the 1950s), he was one of the UK's most highly paid comedians with his spiv act.

Indidentally, Arthur was considered for the spiv role (Private Walker) in "Dad's Army" but in the end the younger actor, James Beck, got the part (although ironically he died before Arthur).

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Are You Being Served?" ... Good grief. They actually sold that show to America? On behalf of Britons everywhere, my apologies for inflicting it on you.

For what it's worth, the show in question was picked up by PBS (Public Broadcasting) and generally airs late at night as "filler" along side "Keeping Up Appearances." I agree that neither show represents the best of British comedy (my nominee there - "Fawlty Towers," as nearly perfect a show as has ever been put on videotape!) but I do very much enjoy "As Time Goes By" with Geoffrey Palmer and the very sexy (for her age) Dame Judi Dench. All three shows are perpetual PBS reruns.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree about Fawlty Towers and As Time goes by. Both are excellent. Keeping up Appearances is dire, I know, but I enjoy watching it. Hyacinth is such a monster; most people recognise someone they know in her. I also enjoy watching her husband, marvelling at his patience and forebearance.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I must confess to also enjoying Waiting for God, which was on my local PBS station for a year, then gone - perhaps to hell?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh" means "bride" in Yiddish...and I like the sound of it.

A Yiddish saying, roughly equivalent to, "What do you have to complain about?" is Die kalleh is tsu shayn?, meaning (ironically) "So the bride is too beautiful?"

And she is.

Posts: 2600 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, shufitz! She is a lucky lady!

I have stated the origin of my nickname before. But here it is for those who don't want to click.

My granddaughter is Amanda Morgan, whose picture is in the community with my daughter, who posts as blues. I decided to keep the Morgan for my nickname. Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, shufitz! She is a lucky lady!
Yes, I am!

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
At school I was occasionally called "Arfur" (After my Uncle, Arthur English, who was at that time a well-known comedian).

Richard English

Wow. Are you really related to Mr Harman. Does everybody else know how famous your uncle was?

Graham Nice is of course just half a nickname.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Mine is very elementary. Trossarello is my last name and Lisa is my first. I know, I know... where's the fun in that?

Love the Duck Soup reference. I always had the biggest crush on Chico.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not unless they are quite old!

It's been half a century since he was one of the UK's top-rated comedians.

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Love the Duck Soup reference. I always had the biggest crush on Chico.

Pet peeve: People who pronounce "Chico" as "CHEEK-o," making it Spanish, instead of the correct "CHICK-o," a reflection of this Marx brother's reputation as a "chicken-chaser," an archaic term for "womanizer."

Favorite related Chico Marx story: Chico was once caught by his wife while kissing another woman. His excuse, "I wasn't kissing her, I was whispering into her mouth." I don't applaud the action but you have to admire the class!

posted Hide Post
I have nothing, really, to add here. I thought that the newer members might be unaware of this topic and I wanted to keep it alive. I've enjoyed seeing how people have come up with their nicknames for this board. I hope to see more postings here.

Tinman

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
When I started using the Internet and joining various Chat Groups, I used a lot of pseudonyms, such as HOTMALEDOTCOM, THEBOYNEXTDOOR, MISTER_E, ROGER_WILCO, et cetera.

But I really like my real name, particularly when I see it in print below some clever headline or title, preceeded by the word "by," so for this board I'm ===>

~~~ jerry thomas

Posts: 6710 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my nickname in boot camp was treetop, because i am 6 foot 6. it kind of stuck.

Posts: 26 | Location: buffalo, nyReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
Mine is nothing very clever..... My name (before last May, when I married and changed it) was Lori Leseberg, so I was simply LoriL. Now it still fits, really, since my middle name is Lee.

On our company message board, I'm LoriCounts. I tried to be clever, you see: I'm the Controller. I think it's a waste of effort, however.....no one seems to get it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 51 | Location: Seattle, WA USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered : is it "controller" or "comptroller"? Are there two different titles/job descriptions or are the two words synonyms?

Posts: 5588 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
they are very similar in terms of job responsibilities. I believe you'd find more Comptrollers in government accounting positions, and more Controllers in private industry.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
"The gnome has been put into prison," the controller said.

(Wait a minute, without an adverb that can't be a Tom Swifty! Plus I've got it in the wrong thread! That Snopes nonsense has still got me rattled...)

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
it maybe the wrong thread....but I'll fix it anyway:

"The gnome has been put into prison", said the controller, calculatingly.

(Although....I must have MISSED something, with the gnome reference......)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Controller = Con (prison inmate) + troll (gnome) + er (ending meaningless to the Tom Swifty)

We had a series of "con" Tom Swifties a while back in that thread. The large majority were better than this one of mine.

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
I'll try to keep my little self out of jail. Eek

posted Hide Post
Wrenching the thread back to its origin -- "haberdasher" was pulled out of the air to be a little off-the-beaten-track but has no obscure reference or deeper meaning whatsoever. (Though an analyst might dispute that. When Isaac Asimov approached a lecturer once after sitting in on a college class on Science Fiction and discreetly disagreed with his explanation, the rejoinder was (goes the story) "Just because you wrote the book, Mr. Asimov, what makes you think you have the slightest idea what it's about?")

Posts: 5588 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Oh, Thanks for asking, Blues. I do believe way in the beginning I explained it, but I have no idea where now.
"Kalleh" means "bride" in Yiddish...and I like the sound of it. Besides, being a "bride" makes me feel sooooo young, and with 3 college-aged kids, I need to feel young! Wink

Yes, you did explain it before, Kalleh, on Aug. 4, 2002.

Tinman

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
My name was given to me by some folks who were . . . umm . .. being catty about my singing, but the name fits me very well in other ways, too.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
My name was given to me by some folks who were . . . umm . .. being catty about my singing, but the name fits me very well in other ways, too.

Hmm ... Caterwaul ...?

Tinman

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Omnia est Caterwaullia non est divirsa in partes tres ... jheem is just my pseudo-sanskritised spelling of my name: Jim. It helps that jh is a rare sound in Sanskrit.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Hmm ... http://www.bartleby.com/61/14/C0161400.html ...?

Tinman

Well . . . yes. Actually I manage to sing rather well (ahem!) but . . . well . . . it's a long story, but suffice to say we were camping, and some of the women who were there thought the attentions of a certain guitar player were too focussed on me. The irony here is that I never realized that he was, nor that others were jealous. Go figure. I was very young and VERY naive at the time.

Oh yes, and it's a good nick for me, also, because my name is Catherine . . . Cathy . . . Cat . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post