Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Nothing to do with words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nothing to do with words Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I was wondering if one of my American friends could enlighten me as to why programs on American TV seem to take random gaps in their scheduling. I understand the mid season break but that's not the only one.

Take The Flash which I have been watching.

Its schedule this season has been...

5 weeks on
1 week off
4 weeks on
6 weeks off
3 weeks on
1 week off
6 weeks on
4 weeks off
3 weeks on
1 week off
3 weeks on
end

That's twenty three episodes in thirty five weeks. Is there a reason for this or is it just to annoy the fans of the show. It's not the only one though. Every US show I watch does it.

Posts: 7858 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Production schedules, conflicts with actor schedules network commitments, writers' problems, budgets, and other effects of Murohy''s Law.

My docs seem to have found treatments which raise my energy level somewhat, though in no wa cure me.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5992 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch very little television right now, but have in the past. My first guess was that something must have been going on during some of the times they weren't airing the show. One thing I discovered is one date it wasn't aired was on November 8th, election day in the US. Results would be coming in during the evening and networks that didn't carry election news, still wouldn't want to use their good shows to compete with that. The next set of no shows was in December, a time for Christmas shows and low viewership. It returned on January 24th. They have sweeps weeks for Nielsen ratings, and the the next one is from April 27th-May 24th. The last one was from February 2nd-March 1st. Incidentally, there was no sweeps from November 23rd until February 2nd. So, it looks like part of their scheduling is to catch numbers during sweeps time.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It just puzzles me because all those things must be possible in the UK but gaps in transmission schedules seem far fewer there than in the US. Of course our season lengths tend to be shorter which may be a factor.

Posts: 7858 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, some of those gaps seem long, even to me. I wonder if it also has something to do with the fact that CW isn't one of the major networks and how far advance they have money to do things might be an issue.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta