Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whippersnapper Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In my Blog I used the word "whippersnapper" while referring to my aerobics instructor. My daughter said that the use of that word made me look "over the hill." Well, the average lifespan of women in the U.S. is 80, and I am over 40 so I guess I am over the hill. Anyway, I used the word because I like the way it sounds. Does it, though, put me "over the hill," so to speak? I hadn't thought so, but then I don't hear the word used that much.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Does it, though, put me "over the hill," so to speak?

The stereotypical utterer of the word whippersnapper is a past-retirement age, crotchety-old man, upset with some below-voting age youngsters, and is said while shaking his fist at them or their retreating backs. Raspy, creaky voice is optional. Of course, anybody can use the word, it just may sound strange or have weird connotations.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Luckily, you didn't put "buggy" in front of it or you would have seemed REALLY old. I think the last person to use the word was Gabby Hayes.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Whippersnapper is one of those reduplicative words (like argy-bargy, hugger-mugger, razzle-dazzle, knick-knack, and so on) that were especially in vogue during the last few decades of the 19th century. I expect the youngsters see you as about 120 years old. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The stereotypical utterer of the word whippersnapper is a past-retirement age, crotchety-old man, upset with some below-voting age youngsters, and is said while shaking his fist at them or their retreating backs. Raspy, creaky voice is optional. Of course, anybody can use the word, it just may sound strange or have weird connotations.
Yikes!!!!

Funny, but the dictionaries don't mention this, though they do point out that a "whippersnapper" is "esp. a young one." The dictionary definitions (online) capture this lady to the "T" (and, by the way, she was a bit long in the tooth for an aerobics instructor): "an unimportant but offensively presumptuous person, esp. a young one."

I also thought this entry in the Online Etymology Dictionary was good:
quote:
1674, apparently a "jingling extension" [OED] of *whip-snapper "a cracker of whips," or perhaps an alteration of snipper-snapper (c.1590). Cf. also late 16c. whipperginnie, a term of abuse for a woman.
"Whipperginnie?"

Here is the Blog entry that refers to "whippersnapper." After reading the dictionary definitions, I think I used the correct word, even though arnie thinks it indicates that I am 120. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
If the word comes from 1674, perhaps its usage indicates you are about 300 rather than a mere 120? Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If zmj is right with his characterization of the word, it just goes to show how strongly the use of words is affected by society. Actually, I've been reading a little about that in Saussure. Yes, I've been reading ahead, zmj. Sorry!

<Proofreader>
posted
she had the audacity of saying

Is this a Chicagoism? It's from your diatribe against the whippersnapper. I would have said "had the audacity to say." And I have always heard (probably from Gabby) "you young whippersnapper." Is young a redundancy?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
<Sigh> I suppose it's a Chicagoism. I don't know....it could be a Wisconsinism. I was recently reamed* for saying that I was "just too nice of a person," so this probably follows well. I am sure many will chime in and say they'd never say it that way. Perhaps we need some sort of agency here in the midwest to help maintain the standards of English, much like they have in France. Wink

The dictionary really only indicated mildly that a whippersnapper is young. It merely said, "esp. young." So I don't think it's a redundancy at all. I think people have embellished the meaning of the word beyond it's definition. However, like other words, it will probably evolve the way people describe it here and eventually be documented that way. Until then, I plan to use the dictionary definition of "an unimportant but offensively presumptuous person, esp. a young one."

*Note - for those who are newbies, in that thread I was the one who posted "I'm just too nice of a person," not Richard English, as it seems. He had left himself logged into my computer, so I posted for him. Believe me, it was a mistake!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In the Tribune today in a column about "Reasons to Pick Palin":
quote:
Nearly 30 years McCain's junior, she'll open the door for him to frequently use the term "whippersnapper," thus making the candidate more appealing to octogenarians and people yelling at kids to get off the damn lawn.
Okay then. I won't use that word again. Wink

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
But Kalleh, why would you want to listen to
any
of these whippersnappers? It's a great word and thoroughly under-used, I think!

Wordippersnappermatic

P.S. I looked for you and Shu in the stadium at the Cubs-Phillies games. I'd say we came out about even. Your Cubbies are a great team this year, but our Phillies are fighting their way back!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked for you and Shu in the stadium at the Cubs-Phillies games. I'd say we came out about even. Your Cubbies are a great team this year, but our Phillies are fighting their way back!
Oh, she really must rub it in, mustn't she? Mad Yes, my dad and I watched the game today, and I was not a happy camper.

I do like Wordippersnappermatic, though!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
people yelling at kids to get off the damn lawn.

Since Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson moved in next door I no longer have to yell at the kids ...

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson

How do they tell when it's bedtime? When the big hand is on the little hand.