Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Happy Holiday's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Holiday's Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
One of my Facebook friends developed her holiday cards and had them sent out - with one faux pas: There was an apostrophe in Holidays!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egad! How awful! I was once a member of a still-in-existence British forum focused exclusively on the use and misuse of the apostrophe. They would love this example! Red Face

But it has two faux pas. Wink A confirmed atheist, I still hate to see us succumb to any modern PCist fatuity, including that of wringing all traces of Christmas out of the season surrounding Dec 25.

So, I, too, wish all and sundry a Very Happy and Scrooge-free Christmas.

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WeeWilly:
I was once a member of a still-in-existence British forum focused exclusively on the use and misuse of the apostrophe. They would love this example! Red Face

As were so many us, WeeWilly, as were so many of us.
I remember describing my arrival here as "fleeing the tyranny of the APS."

Merry Xma's Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
HAPPY CELEBRATION OF THE WINTER SOLSTICE

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Happy Hanukkah too! I love Hanukkah because it's just fun and joy and much lower key than I see with all my friends racing around to have the perfect Christmas. We eat latkes with sour cream and applesauce, play dreidel, open presents, light candles - and that's about it. When the kids were little, I used to read a Hanukkah story each night. They loved that.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, WeeWilly, many of our oldtimers (some who no longer post here) came from the Apostrophe Protection Society.