Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Squinch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Squinch Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
That's the latest test of arnie's lexical prowess - and you ability to fool him (and, coincidentally, the rest of us!)

Squinch

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sent mine via PM

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
definition PMd

Bob

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've already got replies from arnie, Jo, Bob Hale, and Jerry Thomas. Keep 'em coming, folks - we've got some good ones already! As Pinoccio's lascivious girlfriend said, "tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!" (about squinch!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can't remember, did we change the rule that we can use the dictionary to hone a definition?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
did we change the rule
No. The poll I posted has four votes for changing and four against, so I suggest we leave it as is.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay. Mine is strictly my own then. I should have voted the other way! Roll Eyes

I have noticed that when I hone with a dictionary, I attract more takers.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've got daffynitions from arnie, Jo, Bob Hale, Jerry Thomas, Caterwauler, Kalleh, and Haberdasher. Anybody else feel the urge to submit one?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The squinch daffynitions (and the right one):

1. To partially close one's eyes; a variant of squint.

2. Heraldic term, archaic - pertaining to a base or stand used for displying a personal or family escutcheon, usually on board a ship or private yacht.

3. A small arch built across the interior angle between two walls.

4. A Victorian drink, a mixture of cheap gin with sour ale that was drunk solely by the lower classes and contributed greatly to the social problems of the age.

5. The smudge left on a window that was cleaned with a dirty squeegee.

6. To pinch on the buttocks.

7. A term used by authors of children's books for a disappearing character. Derived from Theodore Seuss Geisel's book, How The Grinch Stole Christmas. When first written, the Grinch had a wife named, "Squinch."

8. Colloq. Facial grimmace or contortion, viz, narrowing of the palpebral fissures [of the eyes] in order to protect them from an unpleasant stimulus (dust, glare, wind) while still permitting vision. (Similar to scrunch, also colloq.)

9. To crush an insect underfoot.

10. The last bit of toothpaste one is able to wring from the tube.

Get your votes in early to avoid the last minute rush!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
3 for me! Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I should probably be safe and guess #3 because Arnie did . . . but I'm much more adventurous than wise, and I choose . . .

#2!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hm... buttocks, drunk Victorians, and a Grinch. Hard choices...

I'll take door #3.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Always looking out for ...... and voting for .... Number One

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Torn between two and three I'll go for the most ridiculous.

10 please.

(And if that's right I shall buy an extra lottery ticket as it's clearly my week.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know you all will think I am cheating, but, really, I had decided on #3 before I scrolled down to see the others.

posted Hide Post
I'm going tout to toot two, too.

(signed) Cecil Bill

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little Toot on the Thames...2,2,2T

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. No reason (conscious, anyway).

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
[QUOTE]

1. To partially close one's eyes; a variant of squint. Arnie. Fooled Cat and Jerry Thomas

2. Heraldic term, archaic - pertaining to a base or stand used for displying a personal or family escutcheon, usually on board a ship or private yacht. Jo. Fooled Caterwauler, Haberdasher, and KHC. Good job, Jo!

3. A small arch built across the interior angle between two walls. The read definition. Known by arnie, guessed by Jo and Kalleh.

4. A Victorian drink, a mixture of cheap gin with sour ale that was drunk solely by the lower classes and contributed greatly to the social problems of the age. Bob Hale. Alas, nobody chose to drink with BH this time!

5. The smudge left on a window that was cleaned with a dirty squeegee. Jerry Thomas.

6. To pinch on the buttocks. Caterwauler. Hmmmm... is she Italian?

7. A term used by authors of children's books for a disappearing character. Derived from Theodore Seuss Geisel's book, _How The Grinch Stole Christmas_. When first written, the Grinch had a wife named, "Squinch." Kalleh.

8. Colloq. Facial grimmace or contortion, viz, narrowing of the palpebral fissures [of the eyes] in order to protect them from an unpleasant stimulus (dust, glare, wind) while still permitting vision. (Similar to scrunch, also colloq.) Haberdasher.

9. To crush an insect underfoot. Cat.

10. The last bit of toothpaste one is able to wring from the tube. KHC. Guessed by Bob Hale.

So, even though arnie knew the real definition, Jo came out in the lead, having fooed three, and having guessed the right one!

Now, who's next?

posted Hide Post
I've got one.... I hope it's okay if I go ahead with it.