Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: What is it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: What is it? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's something often seen and used but not especially well-known by name. Send your definitions to me for

A Brannock Device.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's in.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a mistake. I thought it said, "Buttock Device. Eek http://www.feelfoxy.com/Biniki_Butt_Bra_p/bk01a.htm

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll post this game Monday night. Get your daffynitions in -- even if you know the right answer.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made a mistake. I thought it said, "Buttock Device.

Wow, Geoff, that is quite the device! Proof's word would have been the perfect name for it!

<Proofreader>
posted
Any other daffynitions? It's pAM EDT and I will post about 8PM EDT, so you have a few hours to get the brain cells into gear. Then you can go to BobHale's new game.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sorry about jumping the gun. I didn't realise that you hadn't posted results yet and I was so pleased with my newly discovered word that I couldn't wait.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Sorry about jumping the gun. I didn't realise that you hadn't posted results yet and I was so pleased with my newly discovered word that I couldn't wait.

Not a big enough mickle to make a muckle.

<Proofreader>
posted
OK, Here are the coices. Take your pick

1. The apparatus that activates the pushbutton electrical door chime.

2. The plastic doodad you use to open various-sized can lids or bottle caps.

3. A type of vascular clamp invented by Dr. David Brannock in 1893. It is still in use, though modified and improved by many others over the years.

4. Any imaginary device intended to solve a non-existent problem. cf Valentine Brannock, the fictional inventor in Mervyn Peake’s Ghormenghast trilogy whose inventions included devices to prevent mice climbing stairs and to prevent hair becoming entangled with lace curtains.

5. An apparatus for curing arthritis by administering controlled electric shocks.

6. A castration tool.

7. A pushbutton device affixed to a traffic-signaling system whereby a pedestrian walk light can be generated or accelerated.

8. An implement used to measure foot dimensions by podiatrists and shoe store clerks.

9. Rescue equipment, especially designed for use in firefighting, and commonly known as “Jaws of Life.”

10 In chiropractic practice, a highly articulated table which aids in spinal manipulation.

11. A biodevice, named after the inventor, Dr. Alex Brannock, that measures the central venous pressure of patients using a laser technique.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll try the most technical - 7 please and I'd like everyone who votes to pop over to the PM's and send me a definition for "potto".

Thanks.

(If it turns out to be 5 that will be weird as it's almost identical to one I made up but didn't submit - and no that doesn't help you because I have no idea of the correct answer.)

Bob

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, my gosh. I have to select 4!

<Proofreader>
posted
Any other guesses?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yes please.
I'd also like to vote for 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10 and 11.
Oh. One of those was mine. What the hell. I voted for my own last time so go on. All of the above please.

Ah. I see. You meant any other guessers, didn't you?

<Proofreader>
posted
I think your roommate is proving an unfit influence n you, BH.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My "roommate" carries his mobile phone in his sock "to prevent damage to vital organs".

Anyone want to question my assessment of his sanity?

posted Hide Post
His feet are not vital? Given the population ussue, perhaps he ought to carry it in his knickers?

I say it's #11. I'm not saying it IS #11 - nevertheless I'll say that it is. I think it's actually a device for weighing pottos.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
My "roommate" carries his mobile phone in his sock "to prevent damage to vital organs".
Seriously? Geez.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
Seriously? Geez.

Seriously.
The guy is just plain nuts.

When I said, having discovered the phone/sock thing, that all of the studies have consistently failed to find any link between mobile phone usage and increased health risks his response was this.

All scientists are part of a conspiracy to hide the truth.
All scientific studies (not just the ones on mobile phones, all of them on everything) are invalid because they don't want us to know the truth.
The concept of evidence based medicine and peer-reviewed studies is wrong because if someone says something works then it works and that's all the "evidence" you need
Homeopathy, traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture, chiropracty, crystal healing and every other bit of crackpot quackery work. It isn't that they work in spite of all the evidence saying they don't. They work BECAUSE all the evidence says they don't. The corrupt scientists are lieing to us so when they say something doesn't work, then that means it does.

I'm genuinely surprised that he doesn't wear a tin foil hat to stop the aliens taking over his brain.

Oh yes, almost forgot. When I pointed out that you get a higher dose of radiation from a TV screen than a mobile phone he told me that this is why you have to watch TV "from a safe distance".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
you have to watch TV "from a safe distance"

That is probably wise anyway. I wouldn't want any of the people living inside my TV set to be able to reach out and grab me. That's why I always use the remote rather than get up and change channels, etc. using the buttons on the set or set-top box.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
you have to watch TV "from a safe distance"

That is probably wise anyway. I wouldn't want any of the people living inside my TV set to be able to reach out and grab me. That's why I always use the remote rather than get up and change channels, etc. using the buttons on the set or set-top box.

Don't be ridiculous. All the people who live inside the TV set are really tiny. Why I saw King Kong on TV and even he was only a couple of inches high.

<Proofreader>
posted
You have to be really concerned about vaccum tubes on old TVs since you can be sucked in by their pull. It happens all the time in horror movies.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'll take #8, even tho around here it's no longer 'often seen & used'. Even at once-classy Lord & Taylor's, the shoe dept is so understaffed you pretty much have to ask for sizes & try them on yourself. The (Brannock Device?) is nearing obsolescence...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was Jesse James a Bullock Device? Or was that a Bollocks Device? Nah, that was #6.

<Proofreader>
posted
Here are the results

1. The apparatus that activates the pushbutton electrical door chime.Proofreader

2. The plastic doodad you use to open various-sized can lids or bottle caps.Proofreader

3. A type of vascular clamp invented by Dr. David Brannock in 1893. It is still in use, though modified and improved by many others over the years.Tinman

4. Any imaginary device intended to solve a non-existent problem. cf Valentine Brannock, the fictional inventor in Mervyn Peake’s Ghormenghast trilogy whose inventions included devices to prevent mice climbing stairs and to prevent hair becoming entangled with lace curtains.BobHale

5. An apparatus for curing arthritis by administering controlled electric shocks. BobHale

6. A castration tool. Geoff

7. A pushbutton device affixed to a traffic-signaling system whereby a pedestrian walk light can be generated or accelerated. Bethree5

8. An implement used to measure foot dimensions by podiatrists and shoe store clerks.The actual definition Guessed correctly by Bethree5; not voted on by Geoff since he at one time was the Al Bundy of Seattle selling shoes using this tool.

9. Rescue equipment, especially designed for use in firefighting, and commonly known as “Jaws of Life.”Proofreader

10 In chiropractic practice, a highly articulated table which aids in spinal manipulation.Geoff

11. A biodevice, named after the inventor, Dr. Alex Brannock, that measures the central venous pressure of patients using a laser technique. Kalleh

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I submitted number 5? I'd completely forgotten sending that one though I did, as usual, fool Kalleh with number 4.