Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    I really hope this is true...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really hope this is true... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cap...harper_iqaluit_gaffe

It would be such a great word to have in the language that we should import it straight away.

We will doubtless find out more in time, languagelog is on the case.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I hope it's true as well. However, it does smack slightly of a wind-up perpetrated on ignorant southerners. It seems just too good to be true, somehow.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
i believe that Old English had over one hundred words for that condition.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5999 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
But only when they did it in the snow.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Mark Liberman of Language Log has posted the morphological analysis. Looks like it's true. The morpheme for dingleberry in Inuit is iquq (link). iqualuit means something like big poopy butt.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to be because of a misspelling in his speech. But did Harper pronounce "iqualuit" [ikwɑluit] (the wrong way, but the way you might expect it to be pronounced based on the spelling), or [iquɑluit] (the right way, where [q] is a uvular stop)?

Nunavut has four official languages: English, French, Inuinnaqtun, and Inuktitut. Inuktitut is written with a syllabic alphabet, as on the government site. "Iqaluit" is an Inuktitut word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,