Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duolingo Login/Join

Picture of Stanley
posted
Not certain if this is the right forum for this thread...

I'm surprised that I haven't found any mention on these forums (fora?) of Duolingo - a free website or phone application for learning languages. Don't want to sound like I'm advertising for them, but frankly I think it's fantastic. Besides, I don't work for them and it's all free anyway Razz

But yeah, they already have courses in Spanish, French, Italian, German and Portuguese, with Dutch and Irish set to arrive within the next month or so and others for the more distant future.

I really recommend giving it a go, even if you've never seen yourself as "good at learning languages" before. It's fun and well-structured, and there are incentives to do at least a little bit every day, which is generally good advice in learning a language!

Have fun Smile

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
To expand a little...

There are lots of ways it'll test you on each part, which tries to account for listening, speaking reading and writing (although usually you can disable parts of this, such as the speaking parts if you don't have a microphone).

It's quite good at picking up on typos provided it doesn't appear as a mistake in the language you're typing in - so it'll recognize that you meant "the" instead of "teh", but perhaps not "is" instead of "I".

There are also English courses for speakers of many other languages, although I don't know how near completion a lot of them are.

I have found that sometimes I need to complement it with a quick explanation from the web about how something works. It all depends really on how easy it is to see the pattern in something, rather than having to learn every word individually, if that makes sense.

------------------------

posted Hide Post
I signed on right at the beginning, but then forgot about it! I'm probably not on the list anymore. Good of you to bring it up.

Posts: 4430 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll look into it. I may be going to Italy in the fall.

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I'll look into it. I may be going to Italy in the fall.

Oh nice, me too! Except I'm from England so I'll be going in the autumn Razz

Since I'm at it, I've also been shown a fun little phone app called "Word Lens". This lets you hover over something like a sign and displays the translation over the top - so "IGLESIA" would be replaced by "CHURCH" using the Spanish>English setting. Very handy! It's quite big at 40MB, but this is so that you can use it offline when you're in other countries and so on.

In fact, why don't I just link to a video about it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

------------------------

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Duolingo is great! I've been slowly reviewing a couple of languages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Stanley, we are hoping to go in late October - to Florence, and I will take a side trip with some friends to Tuscany. We're making the plans now. I have tried Duolingo for Italian love it. The last time I was in Italy, I was a total failure with the Italian I thought I'd learned from a book. Maybe this will be better.

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post