Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Cortarle las alas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cortarle las alas Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In an article about Donald's decision to rescind our Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, an immigrant from Mexico said that there is a phrase in Spanish that articulates many immigrants' feelings: Cortarle las alas, which means "They have cut the wings." Interesting! I've not heard it before.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Cortarle las alas" is "to cut his/her/your wings."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It was someone from Mexico who translated it that way in the article.

posted Hide Post
Maybe bethree5 can comment.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is when I miss Jerry. He used to speak Spanish. Google Translate says it means: "Cut off his wings." Since it is an idiom, the translation may not be reliable.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I cannot add to this translation: for sure it means"to cut off its wings." But perhaps this top google hit for the phrase says it all-- it's about parrots, under the heading "Como cortarle las alas a un loro" [how to cut the wings off a parrot]: "...Si no les cortan las plumas de las alas, los loros pueden escaparse velozmente a través de una puerta o ventana abierta..." [If you don't cut the wing-feathers, parrots can rapidly escape through a door or open window..."

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post