Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Does anyone know this language?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know this language? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have a Google alert for an acronym from our organization: TERCAP. This site came up with Tercap in the headline. Does anyone know what language this is?

Posts: 23293 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slavic Gibberish? Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4435 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Searching on any three or four word phrase brings up the web page itself in Google. It does not look like any language I am familiar with. I think it's machine-generated gibberish created to confound and confuse. YMMV.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, really? I guess I could have put it into a translation program; I didn't think of it.

Too bad because we had thought another country might be using our instrument.

posted Hide Post
Indonesian?

I searched for "Tercap Utam," and the first link I got is the one you posted. The second was "Download Nest [Translate this page]." I clicked on [Translate this page], and the resulting page indicated it was translated from Indonesian.

Also, I took your original link, chopped the end off, leaving http://www.lycaeum.org/. I clicked on that, then on "about" (at the bottom of the page) and found this:
quote:
the Lycaeum is committed to supplying honest and unbiased information about all aspects of visionary plants, fungi, and chemicals; as well as providing a virtual meeting place for members of the online entheogenic community.

I looked up entheogenic in OneLook which led me to Wikipedia:
quote:
  • An entheogen ("creates god within," en εν- "in, within," theo θεος- "god, divine," -gen γενος "creates, generates"),[1] in the strict sense, is a psychoactive substance used in a religious, shamanic or spiritual context. Historically, entheogens were mostly derived from plant sources and have been used in a variety of traditional religious contexts.
  • The neologism entheogen was coined in 1979 by a group of ethnobotanists and scholars of mythology (Carl A. P. Ruck, Jeremy Bigwood, Danny Staples, Richard Evans Schultes, Jonathan Ott and R. Gordon Wasson). The literal meaning of the word is "that which causes God to be within an individual". Most entheogens do not produce drug dependency.[2]
  • The word was coined as a replacement for the terms hallucinogen and psychedelic.

Dictionary.com defines entheogen as "any substance, such as a plant or drug, taken to bring on a spiritual experience." and Word Spy defines it as "A drug or other substance that engenders a deeply spiritual experience."

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
and the resulting page indicated it was translated from Indonesian.

I'm sorry, but the page (link) does not look like any texts I've seen in Indonesian (or the related Malay). See this text (link). I still say it's a made-up language, advertising gimmick.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you posted this on what Tinman said was a discussion of psychotropics at 4:20. Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4435 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just put 1562 characters of my Google Alerts email into a free language identifier, and came up with Asturian.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I just put 1562 characters of my Google Alerts email into a free language identifier, and came up with Asturian.

Weird. I don't think it's Asturian. This is Asturian. I agree with zmj that it's not Indonesian/Malay, because Indonesian/Malay doesn't have umlauts and acute accents.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, goofy. Unfortunately I didn't link to that language identifier, and now I can't find it. In the meantime, I have used some others, though most say it's no known language. This one said it's Croatian, or possibly Bosnian, Serbian or Slovenian. Yet, this one says Swahili.

Ah, I just found my original one, and now it says Scots.

I guess "unknown" is the best answer.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This TERCAP Google Alert is causing interesting alerts. I got one tonight from a tweet that seemed to be in Afrikaans.