Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GLOBISH Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
"Globish: How the English Language Became the World's Language" is Robert McCrum's new book. Heard him interviewed on NPR today. "Globish" here means English as the preferred language of trade among a diverse group of non-natives for whom it is the common language-- they speak a 'de-caffeinated' version 'without complexity or cultural baggage.'

This reminds me a lot of the lingo spoken among teens at the public school near me in Brooklyn back in the 1980's. The kids were about 1/2 African Americans & Latin Americans; the other half was a diverse ethnic caucasian/Asian mix-- but they all spoke exactly the same, sort of a jive cross between "Ebonic" and PR-type Spanglish

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
they speak a 'de-caffeinated' version 'without complexity or cultural baggage.'

Not quite sure what this means. Simple English, like any language, is complex enough for people who do not speak it. I would assume that the cultural baggage a speaker brings to speaking in any language would be his/her own. De-caffeinated? Not sure what that means either.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The term Globish was trademarked by Jean-Paul Nerrière. As far as I can tell, it's a sort of English with a reduced vocabulary that he created.

What does McCrum mean by "Globish"? According to the article
quote:
In interviews and comments McCrum has insisted that what he means by globish is a reduced auxiliary language with no native speakers, like the version promoted by Nerrière

But does this language actually exist outside of Nerrière's press releases?

To continue the article:
quote:
but many of the examples he uses in the book concern the varieties spoken in postcolonial societies such as India and Nigeria, which do have some native speakers, serve a full range of communicative functions, and are not globally intelligible or culturally neutral. At times he even uses "globish" to refer to the language in which G8 leaders give international press conferences – though in fact this is simply English, used by non-native elites in a way that diverges minimally from native norms.

Language Log on Globish and McCrum's book.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of Globish before so I enjoyed all the links here. I am putting "Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World" on my reading queue...which is getting longer and longer.

Interestingly, the links talk about Narriere Globish, but none of them mention Gogate Globish (unless, of course, I missed it).

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gogate Globish looks like a simplified spelling based on Indian English.