Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    class warfare
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

class warfare Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Americans, what do you bet? "Class warfare" will be one of those words/phrases of the year next year, right?

For the rest of you here, here is an article about the kerfuffle here in the states. One side of the political fence wants to decrease taxes to the rich, thus encouraging the creation of more jobs and stimulating the economy. On the other side of the political fence, the poor and middle class are complaining that the onus of the economy has been on them for years. And on and on it goes....

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the acquisitive class weren't separate from the consumer class we'd have an egalitarian society. If we were hunter-gatherers, we'd have egalitarianism, since everybody would have to work for the survival of the clan. The switch, some 10,000 years ago, to agrarianism fostered the notion of ownership, and the development of classes, and the development of warfare to allow the acquisitive types to acquire more. So, all we need is a good cataclysm to toss us back to the stone age, and we'll wipe out class warfare. Simple, no? Razz

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I wonder how hunter-gatherers define vegetarianism. And, since I'm well past the normal life-expectancy age for for a neo-neo-lithican, I'll live forever. Huzzah!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
I wonder how hunter-gatherers define vegetarianism.

Since herbivorous mammals turn vegetation into meat, eating them is the same as eating highly refined grass. Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
What do Inuits and Aleuts eat? Not much vegetation where they dine. I guess all the vegetarian Eskimos died out.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
What do Inuits and Aleuts eat?

Frozen vegetables.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the acquisitive class weren't separate from the consumer class we'd have an egalitarian society. If we were hunter-gatherers, we'd have egalitarianism, since everybody would have to work for the survival of the clan. The switch, some 10,000 years ago, to agrarianism fostered the notion of ownership, and the development of classes, and the development of warfare to allow the acquisitive types to acquire more. So, all we need is a good cataclysm to toss us back to the stone age, and we'll wipe out class warfare. Simple, no? Razz
You are sounding much more Indianan these days, and much less Oregonian. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
You are sounding much more Indianan these days, and much less Oregonian. Wink

Nah, I'm sounding as though I were influenced by a book I've almost finished reading - one which supports some suppositions I've had for some time - entitled "Sex at Dawn." Despite the title, its primary focus is on the structure of hunter-gatherer societies and the errors anthropologists have made in understanding them. The authors throw the Hobbsian and Malthusian interpretations of these societies right out on their ears, or rears, or something. Big Grin (There, Kalleh, that's just for you!) This is a must read for anyone interested in anthropology, IMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
"Sex at Dawn."

I've heard of this book. It seems very problematic.

posted Hide Post
So Ellsworth doesn't like it. Fine. He writes quite a long refutation, so maybe they've got him worried! Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sex at Dawn sets out to topple what the authors call the “standard narrative of
human sexual evolution” (p. 7), with its emphasis on the centrality of pair-bonding and
monogamous mating, and fundamental conflicts of reproductive interests in the evolution
of human sociality and sexuality.
Hmmm, I suggest the authors read "The Beak of the Finch." It discusses the rigorous studies, over years, of Peter and Rosemary Grant that, for the most part, support and extend Darwin's findings.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I can see I got taken up in the lengthy review of "Sex at Dawn" that Goofy posted. After PMing with Geoff about this book and rereading the review, I can understand Geoff's point that the authors propose that Darwin hadn't developed his ideas of human sexuality. It's a good point.